My name is Nini, and I’m a proud, new grandmother. Just don’t call me Grandma.
I can’t really say. Maybe it’s because I think I’m too young — or young at heart.
I’m not alone. Just ask G Mommy, YaYa, TaTa orUmi, for starters.
“I want to be known as a vibrant, strong grandmother — not some old fogey,” says Denys Davis, an interior designer in Philadelphia, who’s known to her twin 5-year-old granddaughters as Umi.
Since so many baby boomers are defying the aging process, they’re looking for names that match how they feel, notes Lin Wellford, aka Mimi, author of “The New Grandparents Name Book” (ArtStone Press, 2009).
“Today’s newest grandparents tend to look, feel and act younger than their predecessors,” Wellford says.
Umi has special meaning for Davis, who participated in a naming ceremony in the village of Kounoune in Rufisque, Senegal, in 1997. “The name given to me was 'OhmyDiop,' which means 'mother,'” according to Davis, but she uses the spelling from the song “Umi Says” by Mos Def.
“I really wanted to use the name somewhere and thought that having grandchildren was the opportune time,” explains Davis, whom I worked with on “The Spirit of African Design.”
“I wanted something unique,” she says.“I did not want to be called Grandma or anything old-fashioned.”
The only thing unique about my moniker is the sound. Nini is based on the second syllable of my name: YA-nique. And I copied my Toledo mother, Laneta Goings, whose three grandchildren call her Ninyi, a Swahili word.“It has long taken on a deep meaning that tugs at my heartstrings,” Goings said. I also hope to copy her nurturing and inspirational skills. Her eldest grandson, Toure McCord, is founder of literacy nonprofit, Books 4 Buddies, at the ripe old age of 14.
Nicknames for grandparents are nothing new. They tend to be terms of endearment — or terms of distinction to make it clear who’s who, for example, in families with a Mama and Big Mama.
In my family, Grandma was our matriarch, my great-grandmother, Pearlie Willis. One of her umpteen daughters, my paternal grandmother, Ida Mae Rice, was Mama (nothing big about her at roughly 5 feet and barely 100 pounds). My maternal grandmother, Tercia LaForest, was Maman, which often came out “Muh-muh.”
My sister and I didn’t know what to call our step-grandmother, Callie Jordan, so we avoided calling her anything and never asked. Silly kids. We had no real reason to be hesitant since she treated us the sameas the rest of our cousins. And she unknowingly warmed our hearts with a great parting gift on our final visit, when she introduced us to her hospital roommate as “my granddaughters.”
While we didn’t take control of any of our grandparents’ names, that’s not the case in some families. “Kids sometimes will dictate what you will be called,” says Davis, whose grandchildren tried Mom-Mom. “I kept pushing Umi, and finally it stuck.”
A G Mommy in Maryland didn’t have such luck. She’s made peace with being called Grandma. However, one woman indicated that she never cared what her grandchildren called her. “They could have called me Dirt, and I would have been thrilled,” she said in a comment accompanying a list of “Trendy Grandmother Names” at grandparents.com.
Thrills notwithstanding, my grandson has no choice in the matter.
So, read this carefully, Santana, you adorable baby. (I know you’ll be an early reader, especially with so many books!) Don’t call me Grandma — at least not for another 20 years. Love,Nini.
Yanick Rice Lamb, co-founder of Fully-Connected.com, is an associate professor of journalism at Howard University.
What’s your nickname? Share yours or nicknames of other grandparents in the comments section below.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30