My name is Nini, and I’m a proud, new grandmother. Just don’t call me Grandma.
I can’t really say. Maybe it’s because I think I’m too young — or young at heart.
I’m not alone. Just ask G Mommy, YaYa, TaTa orUmi, for starters.
“I want to be known as a vibrant, strong grandmother — not some old fogey,” says Denys Davis, an interior designer in Philadelphia, who’s known to her twin 5-year-old granddaughters as Umi.
Since so many baby boomers are defying the aging process, they’re looking for names that match how they feel, notes Lin Wellford, aka Mimi, author of “The New Grandparents Name Book” (ArtStone Press, 2009).
“Today’s newest grandparents tend to look, feel and act younger than their predecessors,” Wellford says.
Umi has special meaning for Davis, who participated in a naming ceremony in the village of Kounoune in Rufisque, Senegal, in 1997. “The name given to me was 'OhmyDiop,' which means 'mother,'” according to Davis, but she uses the spelling from the song “Umi Says” by Mos Def.
“I really wanted to use the name somewhere and thought that having grandchildren was the opportune time,” explains Davis, whom I worked with on “The Spirit of African Design.”
“I wanted something unique,” she says.“I did not want to be called Grandma or anything old-fashioned.”
The only thing unique about my moniker is the sound. Nini is based on the second syllable of my name: YA-nique. And I copied my Toledo mother, Laneta Goings, whose three grandchildren call her Ninyi, a Swahili word.“It has long taken on a deep meaning that tugs at my heartstrings,” Goings said. I also hope to copy her nurturing and inspirational skills. Her eldest grandson, Toure McCord, is founder of literacy nonprofit, Books 4 Buddies, at the ripe old age of 14.
Nicknames for grandparents are nothing new. They tend to be terms of endearment — or terms of distinction to make it clear who’s who, for example, in families with a Mama and Big Mama.
In my family, Grandma was our matriarch, my great-grandmother, Pearlie Willis. One of her umpteen daughters, my paternal grandmother, Ida Mae Rice, was Mama (nothing big about her at roughly 5 feet and barely 100 pounds). My maternal grandmother, Tercia LaForest, was Maman, which often came out “Muh-muh.”
My sister and I didn’t know what to call our step-grandmother, Callie Jordan, so we avoided calling her anything and never asked. Silly kids. We had no real reason to be hesitant since she treated us the sameas the rest of our cousins. And she unknowingly warmed our hearts with a great parting gift on our final visit, when she introduced us to her hospital roommate as “my granddaughters.”
While we didn’t take control of any of our grandparents’ names, that’s not the case in some families. “Kids sometimes will dictate what you will be called,” says Davis, whose grandchildren tried Mom-Mom. “I kept pushing Umi, and finally it stuck.”
A G Mommy in Maryland didn’t have such luck. She’s made peace with being called Grandma. However, one woman indicated that she never cared what her grandchildren called her. “They could have called me Dirt, and I would have been thrilled,” she said in a comment accompanying a list of “Trendy Grandmother Names” at grandparents.com.
Thrills notwithstanding, my grandson has no choice in the matter.
So, read this carefully, Santana, you adorable baby. (I know you’ll be an early reader, especially with so many books!) Don’t call me Grandma — at least not for another 20 years. Love,Nini.
Yanick Rice Lamb, co-founder of Fully-Connected.com, is an associate professor of journalism at Howard University.
What’s your nickname? Share yours or nicknames of other grandparents in the comments section below.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25