If you scanned the crowds last week at the Republican National Convention looking for the faces of African-American delegates, they may have been difficult to find.
Only 47 African-Americans served as delegates to the Republican National Convention last week in Tampa, Fla., out of a total of 2,286, according to data from the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies.
In Charlotte, N.C., this week, 1,452 African-American delegates are among the 5,551 gathered for the Democratic National Convention, according to data from the Washington, D.C.–based think tank.
The Republican Party data was released at the start of the GOP convention and the Democratic data was released this week, with both sets showing an overall increase in participation of African-Americans, a key political demographic leading to the November presidential election.
The GOP last week increased the participation of African-Americans at the conference podium with key speeches from politicians such as former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Congressional candidate Mia Love of Utah and former Democratic congressman Artur Davis, who left Alabama and switched parties after losing his bid to become that state’s first black governor.
At the Democratic conference, African-Americans have been at the forefront on the podium and in leadership positions behind the scenes.
Bishop Vashti McKenzie of the AME Church is co-chair of the credentials committee, Newark Mayor Cory Booker is co-chair of the Platform Committee, and California Attorney General Kamala Harris is co-chair of the Rules and Bylaws Committee. Also continuing in the mix with leadership is Donna Brazile, the DNC vice chair, and Patrick Gaspard, executive director of the DNC.
The 47 black delegates to the 2012 GOP convention is an increase over the 38 at the 2008 convention, but only 2.1 percent of the total. In 2004, the participation of blacks at the GOP convention hit a record with a total of 165 or 6.6 percent of the total. This year, there are 18 states that had no black Republican delegates at the convention.
African-Americans have represented a substantial percentage of delegates at the Democratic National Convention in recent years, including this year with 1,452 black delegates that make up 26.2 percent of the total. This compares to 24.3 percent in 2008 and 20. All states have at least one black Democratic delegate at the convention this year compared to two states with no black delegates in 2008 and six states in 2004.
Both the Democratic and Republican reports were authored by David Bositis, senior research associate with The Joint Center, founded in 1970. Bositis has been the author of the Democratic and Republican Convention Guides since 1992, and also has led the Joint Center’s political research unit, generating polls and analyses of all aspects of black political participation.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25