If you scanned the crowds last week at the Republican National Convention looking for the faces of African-American delegates, they may have been difficult to find.
Only 47 African-Americans served as delegates to the Republican National Convention last week in Tampa, Fla., out of a total of 2,286, according to data from the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies.
In Charlotte, N.C., this week, 1,452 African-American delegates are among the 5,551 gathered for the Democratic National Convention, according to data from the Washington, D.C.–based think tank.
The Republican Party data was released at the start of the GOP convention and the Democratic data was released this week, with both sets showing an overall increase in participation of African-Americans, a key political demographic leading to the November presidential election.
The GOP last week increased the participation of African-Americans at the conference podium with key speeches from politicians such as former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Congressional candidate Mia Love of Utah and former Democratic congressman Artur Davis, who left Alabama and switched parties after losing his bid to become that state’s first black governor.
At the Democratic conference, African-Americans have been at the forefront on the podium and in leadership positions behind the scenes.
Bishop Vashti McKenzie of the AME Church is co-chair of the credentials committee, Newark Mayor Cory Booker is co-chair of the Platform Committee, and California Attorney General Kamala Harris is co-chair of the Rules and Bylaws Committee. Also continuing in the mix with leadership is Donna Brazile, the DNC vice chair, and Patrick Gaspard, executive director of the DNC.
The 47 black delegates to the 2012 GOP convention is an increase over the 38 at the 2008 convention, but only 2.1 percent of the total. In 2004, the participation of blacks at the GOP convention hit a record with a total of 165 or 6.6 percent of the total. This year, there are 18 states that had no black Republican delegates at the convention.
African-Americans have represented a substantial percentage of delegates at the Democratic National Convention in recent years, including this year with 1,452 black delegates that make up 26.2 percent of the total. This compares to 24.3 percent in 2008 and 20. All states have at least one black Democratic delegate at the convention this year compared to two states with no black delegates in 2008 and six states in 2004.
Both the Democratic and Republican reports were authored by David Bositis, senior research associate with The Joint Center, founded in 1970. Bositis has been the author of the Democratic and Republican Convention Guides since 1992, and also has led the Joint Center’s political research unit, generating polls and analyses of all aspects of black political participation.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31