Tim Greene, a popular hip hop filmmaker known for a variety of films and finding new acts, including Rapping Granny and the movie "Lil Homeez," has provided free actor/filmmaker workshops in Los Angeles, Philadelphia and New York and Washington, D.C.
At a recent event at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Library in Washington, Greene described for his audience, young and old alike, about the good, the bad and the ugly of the movie industry and dispensed advice to aspiring actors to keep handy proper head shots, business cards containing their photos, at least 10 resumes and reels with samples of their work.
“I will hook you up, if your background is straight,” Greene told Omar Ndiaye, a 2012 telecommunications graduate and aspiring actor and producer from Morgan State University in Baltimore who took copious notes and peppered Greene with questions.
The main attraction, however, was an interview Green conducted with Elizabeth Harrington, a 4-foot-8, cute, incredibly witty and humble 15-year-old film director, who already has a children’s film, “Super Kids, Super Heroes,” and an assistant director credit under her belt.
Unlike most directors who rely on visuals when making movies, the ninth-grader from Middletown, Delaware relies on hearing and her other senses.
Elizabeth is blind and believed to be among the youngest blind filmmaker worldwide.
Elizabeth’s brother, Jeffrey Bazemore, who starred in a production of “Bye- Bye Birdie,” inspired her to act. At 11, she met Tim Greene at an acting convention. Greene promised he would work with Elizabeth.
“Here we are,” Elizabeth told BlackAmericaWeb.com in an interview during intermission at the workshop.
At age 7, Elizabeth – who studied under Carla Spady, founder and president of Purpose Child Unlimited – performed in her first play, “Charley Brown.” She went on to act in productions of “Hairspray” “Kids Cabaret,” “Alice in Wonderland” and “What Momma Doesn’t Know,” in which she received a standing ovation.
In the studio, Greene directs and Elizabeth gives the actors and actresses feedback. So far, she has worked with lesser known actors, but she said she would love to work with professional actors, including Jada Pinkett Smith, Shay Harper, child star China Anne McClain, and Tyler Perry.
Elizabeth said she also would like to meet President Barack Obama and said she believes “Obama will be re-elected because he has a good spirit.”
She also said she is inspired by Ray Charles and Stevie, because of their music and because they are blind.
Success, Elizabeth said, “takes heart, practice and faith.”
She understands persistence. She has ongoing therapy with a strength trainer at Children’s Hospital for Cerebral Palsy. After years of homeschooling, Elizabeth will attend public school in the fall and is looking forward to taking chemistry. Science, she said, is her favorite subject. She is also a Christian storyteller at The Resurrection Center, in Wilmington, Delaware.
And, of course, there’s filmmaking.
“Mr. Tim has helped me learn the trade of acting and directing, and I wouldn’t trade him for a million dollars, he’s loyal,” Elizabeth said.
“She’s teachable and unique,” Greene said of Elizabeth.
“We are a faith believing Christian family and God will put the people right in her path,” said Elizabeth’s mother, Debbie Harrington. “Elizabeth is very social and she encourages people, unknowingly. She sees acting and producing; we see a motivational speaker.”
As testimony to her influence, Meleik Delaney, who was certified as the world’s youngest author at age 3, traveled from Baltimore to meet her at the workshop.
“That’s awesome!” Elizabeth shouted as she met with the now 6-year-old writer.
"She fits right in with the ‘Discover Your Greatness Tours’ that I do around the country,” Greene said. “I will now look for corporate sponsors to sponsor a national tour for Elizabeth and I to speak to kids and adults nationwide. I will also pitch her to different organizations for her to be a spokesperson for kids with disabilities starting in 2013."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30