PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Penn State announced Wednesday that it will host a national child sex-abuse conference this fall, the latest in a series of initiatives designed to raise awareness of the issue and help the university recover from a devastating molestation scandal.
The gathering scheduled for Oct. 29-30 in State College will feature academic and clinical experts on childhood molestation and trauma, as well as remarks by retired boxing champ Sugar Ray Leonard and former kidnapping victim Elizabeth Smart, both of whom suffered sexual abuse.
"Penn State has made a commitment to becoming a leader in the research, prevention and treatment of child abuse, and this conference is an important part of that," university President Rodney Erickson said in a statement.
The school's pledge came in the wake of stunning charges against former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, who was convicted in June of sexually abusing 10 boys.
The case has led Penn State and its supporters to push numerous research and prevention efforts, including:
— Creating the Center for the Protection of Children and donating $1.1 million in football bowl revenues to help fund it;
— Giving $1.5 million in bowl revenues to the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape, which operates rape crisis centers across the state;
— Raising more than $548,000 from alumni for the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, which bills itself as the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization;
— Adding blue ribbons to its football uniforms to show support for victims of child abuse. A Sept. 22 game also has been designated a "Blue Out," where fans are encouraged to wear blue and donations will be collected around Beaver Stadium.
Another huge contribution to the cause will come from the $60 million penalty imposed on Penn State by the NCAA. That money, to be paid over five years, will fund programs for the detection, prevention and treatment of child abuse.
A national survey showed that more than 9 percent of children were victims of sexual abuse in 2010, although the crime is severely underreported, according to Kate Staley, a Penn State researcher and co-organizer of the October conference.
Topics to be addressed include the traumatic impact of child sexual abuse, methods of treatment and prevention, legal issues and the characteristics of pedophiles, including their use of the Internet.
The keynote speaker is Leonard, the ex-boxer who has revealed he was abused as a child. The event will close with remarks from Smart, a Utah woman who was abducted from her home in 2002 at age 14 and sexually abused during nine months in captivity.
The public is invited, and organizers are hoping for a robust turnout, university spokeswoman Jill Shockey said Wednesday.
Meanwhile, a post-trial hearing transcript unsealed Wednesday revealed that a prosecutor in the Sandusky case said a lot of incriminating evidence wasn't presented to the jury that convicted him.
Chief Deputy Attorney General Frank Fina did not offer details of the additional evidence at the hearing, which was held four days after Sandusky was convicted.
"I'm talking about incriminating information beyond that which was presented during the trial," Fina told a judge. "There's a great deal of that in the discovery. Evidence that, for a variety of reasons, the commonwealth didn't utilized but was highly incriminating of Mr. Sandusky."
Sandusky awaits sentencing and will spend the rest of his life in prison.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31