MILWAUKEE (AP) — Beer is still a big deal in Milwaukee despite the fact that most of the large breweries that once called it home have long since moved elsewhere.
There are restaurants that brew their own beer, beer gardens (which are patios on which to drink beer), beer tastings and brewery tours. How could some of the free things in the city NOT be related to beer? Believe it or not, there are a few other fun things as well.
MILLER BREWERY TOUR:
The indoor and outdoor guided walking tour features sights of the high-speed packaging lines, the shipping distribution center with typically a half-million cases of beer, a cave where beer was stored before mechanical refrigeration and the brew house. There's also a replica of the Plank Road Brewery, what Frederick Miller originally purchased and later turned into Miller. And of course, you get free beer at the end. Visit: http://www.factorytour.com/tours/miller-brewing.cfm for information.
FOREST HOME CEMETERY:
The cemetery in the heart of Milwaukee's south side is the resting place of some of the city's founders — like Byron Kilbourn — but it's also where you can find some who built Milwaukee's beer kingdom. The cemetery lists six beer barons, including Jacob Best who founded Pabst Brewery, Pabst's namesake Frederic Pabst, and Valentin Blatz, who produced Blatz beer until it was sold to Pabst Brewing Co in 1959. Here's more information about the cemetery: http://www.foresthomecemetery.com/ .
MILWAUKEE RIVERWALK FEATURING THE BRONZE FONZ:
It spans nearly three miles along the Milwaukee River, running from the East Side, through downtown and into the Third Ward neighborhood. It goes past the Bronze Fonz, erected in 2008 when most of the cast of "Happy Days," including "The Fonz" Henry Winkler, came to Milwaukee for the dedication. Though no scenes were filmed in Milwaukee, "Happy Days" took place in Milwaukee during its TV run from 1974 to 1984. Winkler has been known to stop by the statue when visiting Milwaukee, so if you're lucky you might run into both versions of Arthur Fonzarelli. There's also 4 foot bronze statue of Gertie the Duck and her hatchlings along the Wisconsin Avenue bridge. She won worldwide fame in the 1940s, as she was trying to care for her ducklings atop a hollowed-out piling in the river.
ST. JOAN OF ARC CHAPEL:
Originally known as the Chapelle de St. Martin de Sayssuel, it sat in the Rhone River Valley in the village of Chasse in France for at least 500 years. It's said that Joan of Arc prayed before a statue of Our Lady standing on a stone and at the end kissed the stone, which was said to be colder than the stones surrounding it. The stone has since been added to the chapel. A railroad magnate's daughter acquired the chapel in 1926 and it was brought, stone by stone, to Long Island, N.Y. It was later passed to the estate of a couple who donated it to Marquette University in 1964. It was dismantled once again and a fleet of trucks, each truck carrying 40,000 pounds, brought the chapel stones to Milwaukee. It was reconstructed on campus and dedicated to St. Joan of Arc in 1966. The school says it's the only medieval structures in North and South America still used for its original purpose. Find more information here: http://www.marquette.edu/chapel/index.shtml .
Start on the south end of Lincoln Memorial Drive at around noon and watch the wings of the Milwaukee Art Museum, designed by famous architect Santiago Calatrava, close and reopen. About two miles north, there's Bradford Beach, where you can watch volleyball, stroll along the water or catch rays. About a mile north of that is Lake Park, overlooking the lake, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. He's the founder of landscape architecture and also the designer of New York City's Central Park. You might also catch lawn bowling clubs competing in the summer or take a walk past the North Point Lighthouse, built in 1855 and known to be the only lighthouse that's in an Olmsted urban park.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31