MILWAUKEE (AP) — Beer is still a big deal in Milwaukee despite the fact that most of the large breweries that once called it home have long since moved elsewhere.
There are restaurants that brew their own beer, beer gardens (which are patios on which to drink beer), beer tastings and brewery tours. How could some of the free things in the city NOT be related to beer? Believe it or not, there are a few other fun things as well.
MILLER BREWERY TOUR:
The indoor and outdoor guided walking tour features sights of the high-speed packaging lines, the shipping distribution center with typically a half-million cases of beer, a cave where beer was stored before mechanical refrigeration and the brew house. There's also a replica of the Plank Road Brewery, what Frederick Miller originally purchased and later turned into Miller. And of course, you get free beer at the end. Visit: http://www.factorytour.com/tours/miller-brewing.cfm for information.
FOREST HOME CEMETERY:
The cemetery in the heart of Milwaukee's south side is the resting place of some of the city's founders — like Byron Kilbourn — but it's also where you can find some who built Milwaukee's beer kingdom. The cemetery lists six beer barons, including Jacob Best who founded Pabst Brewery, Pabst's namesake Frederic Pabst, and Valentin Blatz, who produced Blatz beer until it was sold to Pabst Brewing Co in 1959. Here's more information about the cemetery: http://www.foresthomecemetery.com/ .
MILWAUKEE RIVERWALK FEATURING THE BRONZE FONZ:
It spans nearly three miles along the Milwaukee River, running from the East Side, through downtown and into the Third Ward neighborhood. It goes past the Bronze Fonz, erected in 2008 when most of the cast of "Happy Days," including "The Fonz" Henry Winkler, came to Milwaukee for the dedication. Though no scenes were filmed in Milwaukee, "Happy Days" took place in Milwaukee during its TV run from 1974 to 1984. Winkler has been known to stop by the statue when visiting Milwaukee, so if you're lucky you might run into both versions of Arthur Fonzarelli. There's also 4 foot bronze statue of Gertie the Duck and her hatchlings along the Wisconsin Avenue bridge. She won worldwide fame in the 1940s, as she was trying to care for her ducklings atop a hollowed-out piling in the river.
ST. JOAN OF ARC CHAPEL:
Originally known as the Chapelle de St. Martin de Sayssuel, it sat in the Rhone River Valley in the village of Chasse in France for at least 500 years. It's said that Joan of Arc prayed before a statue of Our Lady standing on a stone and at the end kissed the stone, which was said to be colder than the stones surrounding it. The stone has since been added to the chapel. A railroad magnate's daughter acquired the chapel in 1926 and it was brought, stone by stone, to Long Island, N.Y. It was later passed to the estate of a couple who donated it to Marquette University in 1964. It was dismantled once again and a fleet of trucks, each truck carrying 40,000 pounds, brought the chapel stones to Milwaukee. It was reconstructed on campus and dedicated to St. Joan of Arc in 1966. The school says it's the only medieval structures in North and South America still used for its original purpose. Find more information here: http://www.marquette.edu/chapel/index.shtml .
Start on the south end of Lincoln Memorial Drive at around noon and watch the wings of the Milwaukee Art Museum, designed by famous architect Santiago Calatrava, close and reopen. About two miles north, there's Bradford Beach, where you can watch volleyball, stroll along the water or catch rays. About a mile north of that is Lake Park, overlooking the lake, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. He's the founder of landscape architecture and also the designer of New York City's Central Park. You might also catch lawn bowling clubs competing in the summer or take a walk past the North Point Lighthouse, built in 1855 and known to be the only lighthouse that's in an Olmsted urban park.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30