As Gabby Douglas took gold as the first Black individual all-round gymnast, Black women around the country began picking apart the young athlete’s hair.
Social media sites like Facebook and Twitter became infiltrated with messages focusing more on criticizing Douglas’ team uniformed hairstyle rather than her performance.
In the middle of the controversial tirade was Sporty Afros, the first to come to Douglas’ defense.
Monisha Randolph’s blog, “Monisha’s Minute: The Gabby Douglas Hair Controversy….Unwrapped” was met with both applause and scrutiny.
However, her analysis helped create a great platform of exposure for the website.
Alexandria Williams and Whitney Patterson started SportyAfros.com as a go-to website dedicated to connecting the dots between hair care and fitness for Black women with an active lifestyle.
Williams credits the website’s recent spike in pageviews to what she has penned as “Gabby’s Hair-Gate.”
“Ninety-nine percent of those commenting on Gabby’s hair were Black, female, “Williams said.
“With us talking about using this platform of SportAfros, this is a huge issue. This girl is working out and going for gold and you’re complaining about hair and that feeds into why a lot of these women won’t sweat. They won’t go out and work out. They won’t go do anything because they don’t want to look like Gabby.”
Sporty Afros is dedicated to breaking down the fears and ignorance that exists about black hair care and fitness. Williams said that by providing advice, how-to videos, and other resources they aim to change the high obesity statistics in the Black community. They believe that the first step to getting black women exercising is helping them no longer look at their hair as a hindrance.
“Readers can find hair care tips, YouTube videos and tutorials, actual workouts and training plans, nutrition tips and much more. We even offer haircare products to help address many of the haircare concerns in our store section,” the site founder explained.
Williams emphasizes that the information provided on the site helps eliminate the excuses.
“I think SportyAfro cancels out 80 percent of the excuses that black women consistently have and most of those are around hair. Recently, we had a swimming workout and where we showed what we did before we entered the pool, that actual workout that we were doing and some other ones people can do, and then what we did afterwards, “Williams said.
“I have emails from people and their like ‘well I can’t swim.’ I’m like I swim 3 to 4 times a week. If I’m doing it and I represent the Black woman. Why can’t you?” Williams added. “I never knew how to swim so that kills the other stereotype. I learned how to swim and I worked at it and I went to classes…There’s no reason why you can’t.”
SportyAfros is not only receiving attention from Black women, but men and women of all races and backgrounds have turned to the site for information.
“There’s been a lot of support from men. That’s been the biggest thing on the comments, white men, Asian men. Men are coming out and they are sick of it. They are tired of women coming up with ‘Oh don’t touch my hair’ or complaining about other people and their hairstyles….You gotta find solutions about it,” Williams said.
The informational website also provides information on nutrition by offering recipes for those who live a vegan lifestyle to meat lovers.
“Really our site is just giving them that great foundation to a holistic healthy life from the inside out,” Williams said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30