DENVER (AP) — A psychiatrist who was treating the suspected Colorado movie theater gunman asked University of Colorado police for a background check on the student six weeks before the July 20 shootings, raising questions about concerns she may have had about his behavior, a Denver television station reported Tuesday.
KMGH-TV reported that the psychiatrist, Dr. Lynne Fenton, called the University of Colorado police department in early June to ask for a background check on James Holmes. The station cited unidentified sources it said were familiar with the investigation into the shootings.
Fenton was told Holmes, then a graduate student at the university, did not have a criminal record, the station reported.
KMGH previously reported that in early June, Fenton expressed concerns about Holmes to members of a university behavioral and threat assessment team, but the team did not act because Holmes decided to withdraw from the university.
Holmes was enrolled in a Ph.D. neuroscience program at the university's Anschutz Medical Campus but told school officials he was withdrawing. He left the program June 10.
Holmes is charged with killing 12 people and injuring 58 at a movie theater in the Denver suburb of Aurora during a midnight showing of the latest Batman movie. He faces 142 counts, including first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder. He has not entered a plea.
Neither Fenton's attorneys nor Aurora police immediately returned telephone calls from The Associated Press seeking comment Tuesday.
Doug Abraham, chief of the University of Colorado, Denver Police, and university spokeswoman Jacque Montgomery said they couldn't comment Tuesday, citing a judge's gag order prohibiting university officials from speaking publicly about the case.
University officials previously insisted campus police had no contact with Holmes, who enrolled there in June 2011.
Before the gag order was issued July 23, the university issued a statement saying police "on the CU Anschutz Medical Campus had no contact with Mr. Holmes."
At a July 23 news conference, Abraham told reporters, "I don't have any information on (Holmes) at all. We've had no contact with him on any matter."
At that same news conference, Don Elliman, chancellor of CU-Denver, defended the school's interactions with Holmes.
"To the best of our knowledge at this point, we think we did everything that we should have done," he said.
ABC News reported that Fenton told a University of Colorado police officer she had concerns about Holmes, and that police in Aurora had interviewed the university officer about that conversation. ABC News cited sources it did not identify as the basis for its report.
Police said Holmes had been methodically stockpiling guns, ammunition and material for explosives for months and that he had received shipments at both the university and his nearby apartment.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31