NEW YORK (AP) — Sylvia Woods, the founder of the famed Harlem soul food restaurant that bears her name, was remembered Tuesday by famous patrons, neighborhood locals and friends as a warm and welcoming trailblazer who turned her small eatery into a bustling city gem.
"When people came to see me from all over America and the world and wanted to know what Harlem was like, I sent them to Sylvia's, and they were made to feel welcome and at home," former President Bill Clinton said, late in the service that lasted more than two hours.
"She brought the world to Harlem, and she made sure that the world took Harlem back home with them," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said during the wake and public service at the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem.
Woods died last week at age 86 after dealing with Alzheimer's disease for the past few years.
Bloomberg praised Woods' dedication to supporting the community through charitable work.
"That's the Sylvia we'll remember, and though they called her the Queen of Soul Food, it was her warmth, her grace and her generosity that truly made her royalty," Bloomberg said.
Former Mayor David Dinkins said Sylvia's Restaurant "is more than a business; it is a testament to our tradition, a comfort zone, a home away from home." He said her customers also were her neighbors "who needed a place to celebrate special occasions or simply a place to enjoy friends over a great meal."
He called Woods "a friend, a mother, a grandmother, a matriarch of a community. She put her soul in the soul food."
Food critic Gael Greene, a co-founder of the Citymeals-on-Wheels food delivery service, said that when she first went to Sylvia's in the late 1970s, "it was not an era when downtowners coolly trekked up to Harlem for fun … but off we went for glorious ribs and transcendent candied sweets, and there she was, a sweet-faced little woman in a rumpled apron, behind the counter, grinning."
Woods and her husband, Herbert, natives of South Carolina who met as children, started Sylvia's in 1962. The restaurant is a Harlem fixture, with tourists and locals going there for cornbread, ribs, collard greens, fried chicken and other staples of Southern cooking and politicians including President Barack Obama making frequent visits while on the campaign trail.
On Tuesday, mourners filed past an open casket. Woods was laid out in a cream-colored brocade suit. The altar was adorned with white flowers: roses, orchids and calla lilies.
A Harlem block was closed by barricades, with police keeping very tight security as a lineup of black limousines arrived for the service. A horse-drawn carriage took her casket in a procession to the restaurant.
Mourners arrived dressed in their Sunday best, many in black.
"She was our shining start," said Audrey Quintano, who worked for Woods as her executive catering chef in the 1990s and is now preparing to open her own restaurant.
Quintano said that "Miss Sylvia" was her mentor and that Herbert and Sylvia Woods provided a wonderful example of a happy marriage.
"He would act as if he had just met her and he was 19," Quintano said. "They were the perfect couple."
Yvonne Maddox, a frequent customer and neighborhood resident, said, "I've known her 17 years. She inspired all of us, especially women. Running a business must not have been easy for a black lady 50 years ago and at the same time raising a beautiful family."
From its start as a restaurant, Sylvia's has grown to include multiple cookbooks and a nationwide line of food products. The restaurant marked its 50th anniversary in August. Woods officially stepped down from running the restaurant when she was 80, leaving it in the hands of her children and grandchildren. Herbert Woods died in 2001.
Another service is scheduled for Wednesday at Grace Baptist Church in Mount Vernon, where Woods lived, just north of New York City.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31