NEW YORK (AP) — Sylvia Woods, the founder of the famed Harlem soul food restaurant that bears her name, was remembered Tuesday by famous patrons, neighborhood locals and friends as a warm and welcoming trailblazer who turned her small eatery into a bustling city gem.
"When people came to see me from all over America and the world and wanted to know what Harlem was like, I sent them to Sylvia's, and they were made to feel welcome and at home," former President Bill Clinton said, late in the service that lasted more than two hours.
"She brought the world to Harlem, and she made sure that the world took Harlem back home with them," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said during the wake and public service at the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem.
Woods died last week at age 86 after dealing with Alzheimer's disease for the past few years.
Bloomberg praised Woods' dedication to supporting the community through charitable work.
"That's the Sylvia we'll remember, and though they called her the Queen of Soul Food, it was her warmth, her grace and her generosity that truly made her royalty," Bloomberg said.
Former Mayor David Dinkins said Sylvia's Restaurant "is more than a business; it is a testament to our tradition, a comfort zone, a home away from home." He said her customers also were her neighbors "who needed a place to celebrate special occasions or simply a place to enjoy friends over a great meal."
He called Woods "a friend, a mother, a grandmother, a matriarch of a community. She put her soul in the soul food."
Food critic Gael Greene, a co-founder of the Citymeals-on-Wheels food delivery service, said that when she first went to Sylvia's in the late 1970s, "it was not an era when downtowners coolly trekked up to Harlem for fun … but off we went for glorious ribs and transcendent candied sweets, and there she was, a sweet-faced little woman in a rumpled apron, behind the counter, grinning."
Woods and her husband, Herbert, natives of South Carolina who met as children, started Sylvia's in 1962. The restaurant is a Harlem fixture, with tourists and locals going there for cornbread, ribs, collard greens, fried chicken and other staples of Southern cooking and politicians including President Barack Obama making frequent visits while on the campaign trail.
On Tuesday, mourners filed past an open casket. Woods was laid out in a cream-colored brocade suit. The altar was adorned with white flowers: roses, orchids and calla lilies.
A Harlem block was closed by barricades, with police keeping very tight security as a lineup of black limousines arrived for the service. A horse-drawn carriage took her casket in a procession to the restaurant.
Mourners arrived dressed in their Sunday best, many in black.
"She was our shining start," said Audrey Quintano, who worked for Woods as her executive catering chef in the 1990s and is now preparing to open her own restaurant.
Quintano said that "Miss Sylvia" was her mentor and that Herbert and Sylvia Woods provided a wonderful example of a happy marriage.
"He would act as if he had just met her and he was 19," Quintano said. "They were the perfect couple."
Yvonne Maddox, a frequent customer and neighborhood resident, said, "I've known her 17 years. She inspired all of us, especially women. Running a business must not have been easy for a black lady 50 years ago and at the same time raising a beautiful family."
From its start as a restaurant, Sylvia's has grown to include multiple cookbooks and a nationwide line of food products. The restaurant marked its 50th anniversary in August. Woods officially stepped down from running the restaurant when she was 80, leaving it in the hands of her children and grandchildren. Herbert Woods died in 2001.
Another service is scheduled for Wednesday at Grace Baptist Church in Mount Vernon, where Woods lived, just north of New York City.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30