Washington, D.C. is the perfect place for the 19th annual International AIDS Conference, which starts Sunday at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center.
The six-day event is being held in the U.S. for the first time because until 2010 the nation banned carriers of HIV from entering the country.
The irony was not lost on organizers who are well aware that HIV/AIDS is at epidemic levels in the District. Slightly more than 3 percent of the city’s residents aged 12 or older were living with HIV or AIDS in 2010, according to the latest numbers available.
That’s higher than five PEPFAR countries, according to United Nations statistics.
PEPFAR is the acronym for President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, which was launched by President George W. Bush’s in 2003 to provide financial aid and other assistance to tackle AIDS in 15 African and Caribbean countries with the highest HIV/AIDS rates.
According to GlobalPost.com, if the nation’s capital were an African nation it would rank 23rd out of 54 countries in the percentage of people with HIV.
Chris Beyrer, professor of epidemiology at Johns Hopkins University and on the governing council of the International AIDS Society, told The Washington Post that D.C. was chosen in part because of that data.
“We try and select cities where we can use the conference as a tool to try to engage awareness in the local population,” Beyrer said.
But D.C. also has begun to get a handle on addressing the problem, taking a page from efforts in African nations.
Of D.C. residents with HIV/AIDS, 7 percent are black men, 3.5 percent are Hispanic men and 2.9 percent are black women.
Teams of HIV field workers go out in the poorest neighborhoods of the city, which are particularly hard hit, to distribute information and free condoms and direct people to free HIV testing in mobile vans and then help residents get access to treatment.
Health professionals say it is important that HIV testing become a normal part of doctor visits. Once the test becomes routinized, they say, more people will be willing to drop their denial and get current about their status.
Unlike a lot of developing countries, most residents in D.C. have health insurance, or access to health clinics, and antiretroviral drugs, which suppress HIV, are readily available. Health and local government officials say they are already beginning to see success with the strategy and want to see it replicated in other hard-hit communities around the country.
There are 34 million people, worldwide, who are HIV-positive and about 30 million people have died of AIDS-related illnesses. More than 500,000 million people in the U.S. have died of AIDS complications and more than 1 million have HIV.
About 21,000 people have registered for the conference and thousands more are expected to descend on the city for the conference, which will host events around the city that will be free and open to the public, including a 190,000-square-foot Global Village featuring panel discussions, exhibits and entertainment.
Other events include several marches, and the unfurling of a 48,000-square-foot AIDS quilt on the National Mall.
At 2 p.m. on Sunday, the AIDS Healthcare Foundation will host a march and rally at the Washington Monument, which will include speakers Cornell West, the Rev. Al Sharpton, Tavis Smiley, comedian Margaret Cho and musician/activist Wyclef Jean.
Scheduled conference speakers include entertainer Whoopi Goldberg, “American Idol” semifinalist Jamar Rogers (who also is participating in a CDC campaign to remove the stigma of HIV/AIDS), singer Elton John, former President Bill Clinton, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Microsoft founder Bill Gates.
Onsite registration is available at the convention center and day passes are available. (604) 736-7763, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.aids2012.org for details.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31