Two parents helped their four-year –old daughter live her life as a boy.
Sarah and Yuri Brown said that at age two their daughter Sophie told them she was a boy.
"At first I didn’t argue with her much, as I thought it was just a phase. But she was insistent,” Sarah said.
Psychological tests diagnosed Sophie with Gender Identity Disorder.
Brown showed her an anatomy book to explain that she was a girl. However, Sophie insisted that she was indeed a boy despite her female parts. She thought her parents changed her.
At age four, Sophie refused to wear dresses, many which were passed down from her older sister Olivia who is eight.
Although Olivia has the interests of many young girls her age such as fashion and makeup, Sophie prefers superheroes.
"Once when she was wearing the costume someone came up and said, ‘Oh you are Spidergirl’. But she was insistent, ‘No, I’m Spiderman,’ her mother said. .
"She started wearing androgynous, plain white tank tops to school. I sat down and said, ‘What’s wrong with your clothes, why won’t you wear them?’ And she said, ‘They’re too girlie,’ Sarah told reporters.
Sophie’s parents said that she’s always identified with the male characters on TV and even portrayed male roles when playing games.
Her parents decided to allow Sophie to live her life as a boy when she began imitating a man shaving.
“…she got into our medicine cabinet and tried to use my razor, pretending to shave her face, and she cut her lip,” Yuri said.
Sarah and Yuri found a therapist and decided to research Gender Identity Disorder. They found that if parents are not supportive of the child’s desire to live a transgender they can likely suffer from anxiety, depression, drug abuse, and emotional scars.
They said Sophie was thrilled to learn that they supported her, especially since she could finally shop in the boys department.
"We bought shirts and shorts. And where Sophie had been wearing two piece swimsuits we switched over to pirate-themed shorts and sun tops — ones that made her identify as a boy,” they said.
After changing her wardrobe, they all agreed to change her name to Jake. They also explained the transition to her big sister.
“At first she started to get upset and say, ‘I want my sister back,’ Sophie’s parents said. “She got time with the therapist to talk it through and they worked out what she could say to her friends. After that she was fine.”
Last fall, their family decided to go public with Sophie’s transition at school, church, and in their community.
“We were so nervous as we knew people would judge us. I was ready for a fight,’ Sarah said. “My sole priority was making sure no one hurt my child. I wasn’t going to allow anybody to make him feel bad.”
To their surprise, they found immense support at both church and Sophie’s school. Their minister even welcomed transgender speakers to present one Sunday to educate the congregation.
Sophie’s teacher helped create a supportive classroom environment by reading a book about a transgender child.
“We found a book called When Kathy is Keith about a male to female transition and the teacher read it to the kids and talked about how Sophie feels like the character in this book. Thank goodness it was pretty smooth. The kids just accepted it. Everyone switched to Jake and life went on.”
Sarah and Yuri are now researching how to navigate the process as Sophie gets older and experiences puberty.
"We will have to start making decisions — about whether we will need to give him puberty blockers and hormones or more. I’m part of a parent online support group, we speak to parents in the middle of the process. So we are prepared,” the Browns explained.
The Browns are thankful to have this eye-opening experience from their child.
"I am so proud of Jake for staying true to himself and so grateful he is my child,” they said. He has challenged my narrow definitions of gender and made me a better person. He has forced us all to re-examine our beliefs.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30