It was a Sister Souljah moment.
Mitt Romney went to the NAACP, in what some assumed was a quixotic effort, to suggest that his policies would ultimately be better for black Americans than President Obama’s.
He was roundly booed. No surprise there; but if anyone thinks Romney was offended by his reception at the nation’s largest civil rights organization’s annual conference, he has another think coming.
The Sister Souljah moment has a formal definition in the political lexicon as “a politician's public repudiation of an extremist person or group, statement, or position perceived to have some association with the politician or the politician's party.”
In 1992, presidential contender Bill Clinton criticized hip-hop artist and political activist Sister Souljah who was quoted in a Washington Post interview as saying, "If black people kill black people every day, why not have a week and kill white people?" The quote was part of a longer response to the 1992 Los Angeles riots following the verdict clearing police officers in the Rodney King beating.
In an appearance before the Rainbow Coalition, Clinton responded to that, and to a line in her song “The Final Solution: Slavery’s Back in Effect” ("If there are any good white people, I haven't met them"), saying, “If you took the words ‘white’ and ‘black,’ and you reversed them, you might think David Duke was giving that speech.”
It was the moment that voters who worried about how widely accepted Clinton was among African-Americans could see that he was willing to put them in check.
George W. Bush did it by refusing to speak before the NAACP until late in his second term.
In 2008, Obama’s moment was when he took absentee black fathers to task.
Romney’s strategy was slightly different. President Obama, citing a conflict, did not appear before the NAACP. Vice President Joe Biden was scheduled to appear in his stead. So the presumptive GOP nominee went instead.
So it appears that he scores by being brave enough to show up in “enemy territory” and stand his ground on his policies, especially getting rid of “Obamacare,” he has weathered the liberal storm and shored up his bona fides among Republicans who aren’t really feeling Romney because they don’t believe he is conservative enough.
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi saw it coming.
“I think it was a calculated move on his part to get booed at the NAACP convention,” Pelosi told Bloomberg TV.
Even Romney admitted he wasn’t surprised by the boos.
“We expected that, of course, but you know I’m going to give the same message to the NAACP that I give across the country, which is that Obamacare is killing jobs,” Romney told Fox News.
Later that evening at a fundraiser, Romney noted he wasn’t kowtowing to any group, a subtle reference to accusations during the GOP primary campaign that he was an “Etch-a-Sketch” candidate who adjusted his remarks depending on the group to whom he was speaking.
“I had the privilege of speaking today at the NAACP convention in Houston and I gave them the same speech I am giving you. I don't give different speeches to different audiences, alright,” Romney said at the fundraiser, according to Politico, adding “they weren’t happy” with his thoughts on health care reform.
As former President George W. Bush might say: Mission Accomplished.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30