It was a Sister Souljah moment.
Mitt Romney went to the NAACP, in what some assumed was a quixotic effort, to suggest that his policies would ultimately be better for black Americans than President Obama’s.
He was roundly booed. No surprise there; but if anyone thinks Romney was offended by his reception at the nation’s largest civil rights organization’s annual conference, he has another think coming.
The Sister Souljah moment has a formal definition in the political lexicon as “a politician's public repudiation of an extremist person or group, statement, or position perceived to have some association with the politician or the politician's party.”
In 1992, presidential contender Bill Clinton criticized hip-hop artist and political activist Sister Souljah who was quoted in a Washington Post interview as saying, "If black people kill black people every day, why not have a week and kill white people?" The quote was part of a longer response to the 1992 Los Angeles riots following the verdict clearing police officers in the Rodney King beating.
In an appearance before the Rainbow Coalition, Clinton responded to that, and to a line in her song “The Final Solution: Slavery’s Back in Effect” ("If there are any good white people, I haven't met them"), saying, “If you took the words ‘white’ and ‘black,’ and you reversed them, you might think David Duke was giving that speech.”
It was the moment that voters who worried about how widely accepted Clinton was among African-Americans could see that he was willing to put them in check.
George W. Bush did it by refusing to speak before the NAACP until late in his second term.
In 2008, Obama’s moment was when he took absentee black fathers to task.
Romney’s strategy was slightly different. President Obama, citing a conflict, did not appear before the NAACP. Vice President Joe Biden was scheduled to appear in his stead. So the presumptive GOP nominee went instead.
So it appears that he scores by being brave enough to show up in “enemy territory” and stand his ground on his policies, especially getting rid of “Obamacare,” he has weathered the liberal storm and shored up his bona fides among Republicans who aren’t really feeling Romney because they don’t believe he is conservative enough.
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi saw it coming.
“I think it was a calculated move on his part to get booed at the NAACP convention,” Pelosi told Bloomberg TV.
Even Romney admitted he wasn’t surprised by the boos.
“We expected that, of course, but you know I’m going to give the same message to the NAACP that I give across the country, which is that Obamacare is killing jobs,” Romney told Fox News.
Later that evening at a fundraiser, Romney noted he wasn’t kowtowing to any group, a subtle reference to accusations during the GOP primary campaign that he was an “Etch-a-Sketch” candidate who adjusted his remarks depending on the group to whom he was speaking.
“I had the privilege of speaking today at the NAACP convention in Houston and I gave them the same speech I am giving you. I don't give different speeches to different audiences, alright,” Romney said at the fundraiser, according to Politico, adding “they weren’t happy” with his thoughts on health care reform.
As former President George W. Bush might say: Mission Accomplished.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31