He may not be the first person you think of, but J. Anthony Brown is doing his part to make the world a better place for hot sauce lovers.
The Tom Joyner Morning Show co-host is set to officially launch his line of gourmet hot sauces at this year’s Essence Music Festival, which takes place from July 5 – 8 in New Orleans. Taking a page out of the book of Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury, Brown has assembled a pair of superheroes to help promote his “Hotter Than a MoFo,” cayenne, peach ‘n pepper, garlic and habanero flavor hot sauces.
“I have two superheroes that I use,” the comedian shared with EUR’s Lee Bailey. “Kinda like people for the hot sauce, the “Hotter Than a MoFo” man and a “Hotter Than a MoFo” lady dress in superhero outfits and pass the flyers and directing people to the tents.”
The launch of Brown’s gourmet hot sauces is the end result of a venture the funnyman says started “eight or nine” years ago. According to Brown, the business came about as nothing more than a gimmick that grew legs while giving the hot sauce out at comedy clubs where he performed.
“When I started it, I found out that there was a hot sauce company that would put your picture on the (hot sauce) packaging. And I would send it to the club. Like, say I played a club, so I would send a case of hot sauce,” Brown revealed. “It was very inexpensive, just my way of saying thanks, you know, maybe less than $2. I could send everybody a bottle of hot sauce. And I would send it to the club that I played.
“It kinda got to the point where people started asking for it. ‘Where is my hot sauce? Can I get some more of the hot sauce? So that’s how I got in to it,’ continued the entertainer, who added that “Hotter Than a MoFo” is his hottest hot sauce. “I came up with two different, a couple of ideas. Like I wanted a really, really really hot sauce, which is hotter than a MoFo. And the peach and pepper is an idea that I had that I came up with. What would these flavors be like?”
With the official debut of the hot sauces at the Essence festival, Brown is looking to build upon the buzz of his newest venture. Festival goers can sample the products inside and outside the convention center where the event will take place. In addition, the actor/comedian, who has participated in four or five hot sauce conventions, already has Bi-Lo stores in the New Jersey area on board selling the products.
“It’s just a way to let a lot of people at one time know about my hot sauce and make myself visible and sell the product,” Brown stated of his Essence Festival appearances.
“I turned to hot sauce just as a gimmick, something to give to people. And then I started getting a lot of calls, people wanting more. So I thought ‘This would be a great little venture to go into.’ And it’s been pretty good.”
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading J. Anthony Brown Taking His ‘Hotter Than a Mofo’ Hot Sauce to Essence Festival