SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — It's no secret that you can drop a lot of cash seeing the sights of San Francisco. After all, this is the home of the Gold Rush.
But did you know that some of the finest things in the City by the Bay carry the budget-friendly price tag of free, gratis and no charge?
Here are five things that may make you leave your heart, but not your money, in San Francisco.
GOLDEN GATE PARK: Covering more than 1,000 acres, the Golden Gate Park is home to playgrounds, museums, flower gardens and more. On the western side of the park, check out the Dutch-style windmills near John F. Kennedy Drive. Once used to pump water through the park, they now represent a little of the city's history. Also in the western section is the Buffalo Paddock where you'll find not buffalo but bison. Visit http://www.golden-gate-park.com for directions and more information. In the mood for more nature? The Land's End trail north of Golden Gate Park offers stunning views along the edge of the continent; find maps and more information at http://www.parksconservancy.org/visit/park-sites/lands-end.html.
GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE: A grande dame of spans, the Golden Gate Bridge turned 75 years old this spring. And it's looking fabulous. Parking is limited, so public transit is the recommended way to visit. Once you're there, stroll along the eastern sidewalk and take in the beautiful views of San Francisco and the bay. Go to http://www.goldengatebridge.org for more tips and directions, including bus routes.
CABLE CAR TURNAROUND: Riding a cable car costs $5 one way, but watching the drivers turn the historic cars on the turntables at the end of each route is free and fun. A good viewing area is at the Aquatic Park end of the Powell-Hyde line. Information on directions, fares and history of the cars that climb halfway to the stars can be found at http://www.sfcablecar.com.
FISHERMAN'S WHARF: Yes, you can drop a lot of cash on all things kitsch at this popular tourist spot. But there are some free things to take in, too. You can look through the window of the Boudin Bakery at Pier 39 and watch bakers twisting sourdough bread into animal shapes. Also at Pier 39, watch California sea lions sitting, or rather, basking, on docks in the bay. And at Pier 45 find the Musee Mecanique, a one-of-a-kind collection of antique arcade machines. You'll have to pay a quarter or two to get the machines to go, but admission is free and you can always stand back and watch while someone else fires up an attraction, like scary-crazy Laffing Sal. If you need a respite from noise and hustle, try Aquatic Park at Beach and Polk streets, a tranquil stretch where you can rest, relax and even dip a toe in the bay if you want.
BEER TOUR: You may know that Anchor Steam beer hails from San Francisco and was at the forefront of the craft brewing movement. But did you know that you can book a free tour of the brewery, located in the city's Potrero Hill neighborhood? You'll need to plan this visit; tours are available by reservation only and reservations are taken up to six months in advance. There are two tours each weekday followed by a tasting. For reservations call 415-863-8350, Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Pacific time.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31