SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — It's no secret that you can drop a lot of cash seeing the sights of San Francisco. After all, this is the home of the Gold Rush.
But did you know that some of the finest things in the City by the Bay carry the budget-friendly price tag of free, gratis and no charge?
Here are five things that may make you leave your heart, but not your money, in San Francisco.
GOLDEN GATE PARK: Covering more than 1,000 acres, the Golden Gate Park is home to playgrounds, museums, flower gardens and more. On the western side of the park, check out the Dutch-style windmills near John F. Kennedy Drive. Once used to pump water through the park, they now represent a little of the city's history. Also in the western section is the Buffalo Paddock where you'll find not buffalo but bison. Visit http://www.golden-gate-park.com for directions and more information. In the mood for more nature? The Land's End trail north of Golden Gate Park offers stunning views along the edge of the continent; find maps and more information at http://www.parksconservancy.org/visit/park-sites/lands-end.html.
GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE: A grande dame of spans, the Golden Gate Bridge turned 75 years old this spring. And it's looking fabulous. Parking is limited, so public transit is the recommended way to visit. Once you're there, stroll along the eastern sidewalk and take in the beautiful views of San Francisco and the bay. Go to http://www.goldengatebridge.org for more tips and directions, including bus routes.
CABLE CAR TURNAROUND: Riding a cable car costs $5 one way, but watching the drivers turn the historic cars on the turntables at the end of each route is free and fun. A good viewing area is at the Aquatic Park end of the Powell-Hyde line. Information on directions, fares and history of the cars that climb halfway to the stars can be found at http://www.sfcablecar.com.
FISHERMAN'S WHARF: Yes, you can drop a lot of cash on all things kitsch at this popular tourist spot. But there are some free things to take in, too. You can look through the window of the Boudin Bakery at Pier 39 and watch bakers twisting sourdough bread into animal shapes. Also at Pier 39, watch California sea lions sitting, or rather, basking, on docks in the bay. And at Pier 45 find the Musee Mecanique, a one-of-a-kind collection of antique arcade machines. You'll have to pay a quarter or two to get the machines to go, but admission is free and you can always stand back and watch while someone else fires up an attraction, like scary-crazy Laffing Sal. If you need a respite from noise and hustle, try Aquatic Park at Beach and Polk streets, a tranquil stretch where you can rest, relax and even dip a toe in the bay if you want.
BEER TOUR: You may know that Anchor Steam beer hails from San Francisco and was at the forefront of the craft brewing movement. But did you know that you can book a free tour of the brewery, located in the city's Potrero Hill neighborhood? You'll need to plan this visit; tours are available by reservation only and reservations are taken up to six months in advance. There are two tours each weekday followed by a tasting. For reservations call 415-863-8350, Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Pacific time.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30