SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — It's no secret that you can drop a lot of cash seeing the sights of San Francisco. After all, this is the home of the Gold Rush.
But did you know that some of the finest things in the City by the Bay carry the budget-friendly price tag of free, gratis and no charge?
Here are five things that may make you leave your heart, but not your money, in San Francisco.
GOLDEN GATE PARK: Covering more than 1,000 acres, the Golden Gate Park is home to playgrounds, museums, flower gardens and more. On the western side of the park, check out the Dutch-style windmills near John F. Kennedy Drive. Once used to pump water through the park, they now represent a little of the city's history. Also in the western section is the Buffalo Paddock where you'll find not buffalo but bison. Visit http://www.golden-gate-park.com for directions and more information. In the mood for more nature? The Land's End trail north of Golden Gate Park offers stunning views along the edge of the continent; find maps and more information at http://www.parksconservancy.org/visit/park-sites/lands-end.html.
GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE: A grande dame of spans, the Golden Gate Bridge turned 75 years old this spring. And it's looking fabulous. Parking is limited, so public transit is the recommended way to visit. Once you're there, stroll along the eastern sidewalk and take in the beautiful views of San Francisco and the bay. Go to http://www.goldengatebridge.org for more tips and directions, including bus routes.
CABLE CAR TURNAROUND: Riding a cable car costs $5 one way, but watching the drivers turn the historic cars on the turntables at the end of each route is free and fun. A good viewing area is at the Aquatic Park end of the Powell-Hyde line. Information on directions, fares and history of the cars that climb halfway to the stars can be found at http://www.sfcablecar.com.
FISHERMAN'S WHARF: Yes, you can drop a lot of cash on all things kitsch at this popular tourist spot. But there are some free things to take in, too. You can look through the window of the Boudin Bakery at Pier 39 and watch bakers twisting sourdough bread into animal shapes. Also at Pier 39, watch California sea lions sitting, or rather, basking, on docks in the bay. And at Pier 45 find the Musee Mecanique, a one-of-a-kind collection of antique arcade machines. You'll have to pay a quarter or two to get the machines to go, but admission is free and you can always stand back and watch while someone else fires up an attraction, like scary-crazy Laffing Sal. If you need a respite from noise and hustle, try Aquatic Park at Beach and Polk streets, a tranquil stretch where you can rest, relax and even dip a toe in the bay if you want.
BEER TOUR: You may know that Anchor Steam beer hails from San Francisco and was at the forefront of the craft brewing movement. But did you know that you can book a free tour of the brewery, located in the city's Potrero Hill neighborhood? You'll need to plan this visit; tours are available by reservation only and reservations are taken up to six months in advance. There are two tours each weekday followed by a tasting. For reservations call 415-863-8350, Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Pacific time.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25