Click here to hear Sybil Wilkes' interview with Ledisi.
Can’t isn’t a word in Ledisi’s vocabulary.
Actually, it is, but only as a motivating tool.
When some folks suggested to her that she couldn’t write a book, she decided she would. A line in that book, “Better Than Alright: Finding Peace, Love & Power,” she says, has become a mantra for the singer-songwriter.
“Tell me I can’t so I can show you I can.”
The book, published by Essence Books, is a combination of narrative, poetry, lyrics, photos, memoir and self-help guide, which includes space for readers to jot down their thoughts.
“I love doing what I do and finding all these voices and developing,” the seven-time Grammy nominated artist told BlackAmericaWeb.com.
“I’ve always been a writer. I love journaling, taking photos,” she said, adding that part of the motivation for the book was so “when I have children they can see what I went through.”
A friend suggested to Ledisi that the thoughts in her journal would make a good book project.
“Next thing you know, I’m in a meeting about a book deal,” she says.
Essence Books, the publishing arm of Essence magazine, was a logical choice, Ledisi says, because Essence magazine celebrates women of color.
The book, which Ledisi wrote through the recording of four albums and keeping up a busy touring schedule, is a collage of her experiences, the singer says.
While an uplifting book, overall, Ledisi addresses being molested by her stepfather and some seriously lean years before her career took off, which led her at one point to consider walking away from the music business altogether.
Getting personal was an important part of the book project, Ledisi says, not just for her, but for her readers who may be undergoing some of the challenges she has faced.
“I have to be transparent. I couldn’t stop at one part,” she says. “Everything isn’t rosy. This might save somebody’s life. It could help them figure it out. I wish somebody told me.”
The most difficult chapter to write, she says, was the chapter on forgiveness, where she revealed she has forgiven her stepfather, but also discussed how she wrestled with his violation and abuse of her trust.
“It was also the most poetic because some things are two hard to read and digest” as a straight narrative, Ledisi says.
“Writing it out made me feel better. To actually see it in print out there in the world…can inspire someone or save someone.”
She says her mother, sisters, tour manager and close friends help her keep life’s challenges in perspective and “simplify my life.”
And she is bolstered professionally, she says, by her faith.
“You have to leap and trust and know that God will provide. It’s the same with living. You have to get through the old stuff to get to the new stuff.”
And Ledisi has a lot of new stuff on her plate.
Last week, she attended the public memorial service for the Godfather of Go-Go Chuck Brown and stirred the crowd of 14,000 with her rendition of “Wind Beneath My Wings.”
This week, her book tour starts with appearances in New York, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Dallas.
After that, she’ll be back in rehearsals for her Be Good to Yourself Tour, a 27-city tour, which crisscrosses the U.S., beginning on June 24, in Philadelphia and ending Aug. 5 in Atlanta, with Eric Benet, who will open the show. Ledisi also will make stops at major festivals across the country including Hampton Jazz Festival on June 23, Essence Music Festival on July 7 and Cincinnati Jazz Festival on July 27. This will be Ledisi’s first time performing on the main stage at Essence Music Festival Tour schedule and ticket purchase info is available on her official website, http://www.ledisi.com, as well as TicketMaster.com.
For more information on the tour, book and upcoming Ledisi news, please visit www.ledisi.com, her official website. Ledisi can also be found at www.twitter.com/ledisi and www.facebook.com/ledisi, her official facebook page.
Although the singer has a busy schedule, she doesn’t mind it at all. “Work doesn’t feel like work,” Ledisi says. “It’s like air.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31