It’s “Take a Loved One to the Doctor” season at the “TJMS,” and we all have ailments of a certain kind that need to be addressed – physical and beyond. Have you ever been in physical pain so bad that you could barely move? The movements and tasks you normally performed became gargantuan projects; you had no choice but to slow down. Did the pain become so nagging that you had to get help, didn’t care who did it or how – just knew you needed to be fixed up, and I mean right now?
When you went to the doctor, hospital or, in my case, the chiropractor, did you find out that your pain was not the problem, but the result of something that happened? Did you find out that because you walked around with that pain for some time, it would take that equivalent amount of time to resume your normal activities?
That is what happened to me once. Somehow, by making the wrong move, I managed to sprain my back rib. Oh, the pain was unbelievable. When I finally went to the chiropractor, she adjusted my back in two places, but the place where my back hurt the most – in the middle – she could not adjust. She tried twice, but said my back was not ready; it would not cooperate. I asked her when I would be able to resume my exercise regime. Her response was that since I had not handled my pain when it first occurred, it would take my body longer to heal.
So it is when we’ve been hurt emotionally, too. Because we either do not realize or we’re not ready to deal with what happened to us, we keep on moving in life – staying busy, refusing to talk about it, and refusing to feel it.
However, the symptoms of your pain have a way of getting your attention. It may manifest itself as indifference, bitterness, anger, sadness, depression, eating, drinking or in other ways. The longer your pain goes on unaddressed, the louder your symptoms become. They will start altering your life; you’ll gain or lose weight, mishandle your work, family and relationships. You’ll become overly dependent on substances to numb your pain. We all have areas of deep pain, but how you cope with the pain will either make you or break you.
Just like when a child learns that the stove is hot when they get burned, our pain can be used to teach us lessons or, for that matter, propel us to our legacy. My mentor, Terri McFaddin, spoke once about how pain can work for our good. For instance, if you grew up poor, the pain, struggle and displeasure of it may motivate you to work hard and become successful because you never want to be poor again.
The point here is do not be afraid to look at and deal with your pain. It can teach you something significant about yourself. Also, it is healthier for you to deal with your pain than have your pain, by force, deal with you in a destructive way, or before it’s too late.
If you’re one of those people who’s lived with your pain for a long time, know that once you start your healing process, it may take you a long time to heal. Please do not get discouraged, and don’t give up. You know what they say: No pain, no gain.
Finally, my friend, if you’ve already been healed or you’re in the process of healing,don’t let your pain be in vain. What you’ve been through, someone else is going through. Your willingness to tell the truth and share your story could save someone’s life. What’s the use of sitting back and watching your brother or sister in pain? Use your pain for the good. Push someone else forward. Believe me,that alone can help you release the pain.
Deya “Direct” Smith is a producer on “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” and host of Girlfriend FM and Beyond the Studio celebrity interviews on BlackAmericaWeb.com. She is also a motivational speaker, actress and social commentator. She can be reached at DeyaDirect@aol.com.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
27 photos Launch gallery
1. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
1 of 27
2. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
2 of 27
3. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
3 of 27
4. Jus haaaanngin out
4 of 27
5. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
5 of 27
6. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
6 of 27
7. new new
7 of 27
8. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
8 of 27
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 27
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 27
11 of 27
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 27
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 27
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 27
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 27
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 27
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 27
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 27
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 27
20 of 27
21. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
21 of 27
22. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
22 of 27
23. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
23 of 27
24. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
24 of 27
25. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
25 of 27
26. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
26 of 27
27. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
27 of 27