When it comes to relationships, we have all been in violation of something: Hurting someone’s feelings, choosing the wrong partners, putting ourselves last, being selfish, having negative energy, being insecure and jealous … the list goes on. Some of us make mistakes and learn from them; others continue to repeat the same mistakes, although maybe with different people. I call this behavior the R.R.O. – which stands for Relationship Repeat Offenders. These are people who are in violation of unhealthy choices for themselves and those they are involved with romantically.
I know all too well what it’s like to be a R.R.O. In fact, by the age of 36, I had already married and divorced. My issue has never been that it’s hard to meet a man; instead, it’s about who I choose and why. I have often made life-altering decisions, like getting married, from an ultra-emotional space that was less than healthy and definitely for the wrong reasons.
For example, when I got married at 24 years old, I was coming directly out of college at Howard University. Graduation was in May, my 24th birthday was that August, and that September, I was getting married – against my better judgment. In my spirit, I knew it was the wrong move and the wrong time with the wrong man. A woman’s gut and intuition will always alert her in some way. We may not have all the pieces to the puzzle, but we can feel when something isn’t right. God will always send us warning signs. The biggest violation that we can commit is to ignore what’s right in front of us, starting with our own issues. We lie to ourselves. We rationalize the situation because we don’t want to face the truth. We don’t want to end the relationship; we don’t want to be alone, and we don’t want to start over yet again.
Sometimes what you need to know is right in front of you. We will not always get it right, but what’s for sure is that whether or not you make good decisions in your personal relationships or continue to repeat the same mistakes, your real girlfriends will always be there for you. They are ride-or-die. They don’t judge you, but they will tell you the truth when you need to hear it. These girlfriends are a constant ear when you need to vent, prayer partners when you’re barely holding on, party partners when you need to forget and constant shoulders when you need to cry.
When you have true friends, it’s almost like a marriage. They will love you for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, and until death do you part. Sadly, our friendships often outlast our marriages.
Click here for my exclusive interview with Tammy Franklin (wife of Kirk Franklin) on relationships.
For these reasons, when I know it’s time for some real and straight talk, I call on my girls to give it to me like I need it. They are my personal police who will arrest me in my tracks before I make a mistake. That same girlfriend will metaphorically come visit me in prison without judgment. In other words, even though she warned me not to do it, I still did anyway. And while I’m suffering the consequences of my decisions, guess who’ll be right there to comfort me?
Once I get free from the prison of my mind or my circumstances, girlfriends are there with balloons, chocolate, and champagne to celebrate my release.
The good news is that you all know that when the table gets turned, you’ll return the favor.
As much as I love men – and wish they understood women better – the reality is that there are things that they will never understand, nor do they want to. Peace happens for us when we stop expecting them to “get it.” Personally, I don’t know how I’d make it without my girls. How about you?
I’d love to hear your stories about how your girlfriend(s) came through for you at a critical time in your life. E-mail me at Deyadirect@aol.com.
Deya “Direct” Smith is a producer on “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” and the ccreator and host of “Girlfriend FM.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30