Who loves the black woman?
I’ve been seeing a lot of commentary in response to my series, “Love and Marriage.” I’ve been reading even more commentary about interracial relationships, especially with the high-profile relationships of Kim and Khloe Kardashian. Many sisters who desire to be in a relationship with a successful black man – have a love-hate relationship with the Kardashians. We may enjoy their fabulousity, but it’s yet again another reminder that brothers often prefer others over us.
Of course, this makes one wonder, who really does love us? Are we even lovable anymore? All we seem to hear is that we’re mean, bossy, not sexual enough, too sexual, too fat, too talkative, too needy, nag too much, are too hard – and the list goes on. Well, dammit, what are we good for?
Can a sista get some positive reinforcement? Somebody – especially brothers – can you stroke us a little? Life is hard for us too. We work hard. We struggle. We feel rejection everyday. We are vulnerable and emotional and need to feel pretty, valued and appreciated too. Where is the love? What you often consider as complaining and nagging is often us crying out for the love we want and so desperately need. By the time we say something to you, the pain has built up, and it often comes out as anger. Have you ever considered that? If you know us so well, why can’t you appreciate that the hard exterior we’re perceived to have is for the protection of our soft hearts?
Ladies, tired of holding your breath for that ideal brother’s love or for him to finally get you? Well, maybe it’s time to stop complaining and suffering in silence. Do something different! Open yourself up to someone else other than a brother. Men of other cultures do appreciate the beauty of black women, just ask Pepa! But we rarely allow them the opportunity to learn about our inner beauty. We don’t give them the time of day because we are too loyal – that’s right, I said it! There comes a time in every situation that one should realize, if you keep putting yourself in the same scenario in which you’re constantly getting hurt, then that’s a form of self-abuse.
Today – not tomorrow – start exploring. Step out of your comfort zone! You might be surprised by what you like. Break free; the world is much bigger than your personal square! Go someplace different from the norm where you can meet people from different backgrounds. Isn’t it interesting that we have fought for desegregation, and yet we self-segregate on a daily basis?
(NOTE: Check out my interview with Sheree from “The Real Housewives of Atlanta” as she opens up about trying interracial dating.) CLICK HERE to listen to interview.
Besides, it’s been confirmed by many black women that the sexual myths about white men and others are absolutely not true. And in fact, you may find men from other cultures to be far more attentive to meeting your needs – emotionally and beyond. Love awaits you, ladies. And it has no particular color.
The Girlfriends will be doing some on-site research. I expect you to do the same – and report back!
Deya “Direct” Smith, is a producer on the Tom Joyner Morning Show and host of Girlfriend FM on the BlackAmericaWeb.com stream. She is also a motivational speaker, actress and activist. She can be reached at DeyaDirect@aol.com.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30