A Southern Baptist leader has apologized to President Barack Obama and other black leaders for saying they were exploiting Trayvon Martin’s death for political gain.
Richard Land said Wednesday he impugned the motives of Obama and the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, all of whom have shown support and sympathy for Martin’s family. Land said he sent personal letters of apology to each of the three men, asking for their forgiveness.
“God alone is the searcher of men’s hearts,” he wrote in an apology published by the Baptist Press. “I cannot know what motivated them and their comments in this case.”
Land is president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s public policy arm, the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission. The apology is the second that Land has issued for inflammatory remarks about the case of the black Florida teenager who was shot and killed by a neighborhood watch volunteer who thought he looked suspicious.
Land initially said he had no regrets about his remarks made on March 31 during his weekly radio show. They included saying that Obama “poured gasoline on the racialist fires” when he addressed Martin’s slaying and that Obama, Jackson and Sharpton had used the case “to try to gin up the black vote for an African-American president who is in deep, deep, deep trouble for re-election.”
Land also defended the idea that people are justified in seeing young black men as threatening, saying a black man was “statistically more likely to do you harm than a white man.”
In his Wednesday apology, Land wrote that “I do not believe that crime statistics should in any way justify viewing a person of another race as a threat…. I share the dream of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., that all men, women, boys, and girls would be judged by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin.”
He said his remarks were made in anger at what he saw as the media trial of George Zimmerman, the man who killed the 17-year-old Martin. Land declined to be interviewed for this story.
The Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission’s trustees earlier expressed regret for any harm the remarks might have done to race relations within the Southern Baptist Convention.
The Nashville-based SBC is the nation’s largest Protestant denomination but the controversy around Land’s remarks comes at a time of declining membership and its efforts to broaden its appeal beyond its traditional white, Southern base.
The trustees also said they would investigate claims that Land plagiarized many of the controversial comments. Land has called his failure to attribute the comments to a Washington Times editorial an oversight and vowed to do better in the future.
He previously issued an apology for any “hurt or misunderstanding” his Trayvon Martin comments had caused while not apologizing for the substance of those remarks.
Land’s new apology comes after a meeting earlier this month with black Southern Baptist leaders, including the Rev. Dwight McKissic, a Texas pastor who had previously called for Land’s resignation.
On Wednesday, McKissic wrote on his blog that he accepted the apology. In a phone interview, he said, ‘I was overwhelmed with joy when I read it.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30