WASHINGTON (AP) – TITLE: “Go”
LENGTH: 60 seconds
AIRING: Broadcast and cable TV stations in Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia, all key swing states.
KEY IMAGES: The year 2008 flashes across the screen followed by a series of grim images from that year: People waiting in line with pained looks, maps of homes being foreclosed and news footage from the stock market crash. The date 2008 stays in the corner of the screen as each image is shown, emphasizing that the nation’s economic tumult started before President Barack Obama took office.
After a scene at Obama’s inauguration, the images turn positive. The narrator notes the recovery of the auto industry and the raid that killed terrorist Osama bin Laden. As the narrator talks about Obama ending the Iraq war, a young girl rushes into the waiting arms of her father dressed in military fatigues. A graph showing job growth during Obama’s tenure is shown as the narrator says, “Instead of losing jobs, we’re creating them, over 4.2 million so far.”
“We’re not there yet. It’s still too hard for too many,” the narrator concludes. “But we’re coming back, because America’s greatness comes from a strong middle class. Because you don’t quit, and neither does he.”
ANALYSIS: Obama’s ad recalls the positive “morning in America” spot run by Republican Ronald Reagan in his 1984 re-election bid. Like that ad, Obama’s presents a narrative of U.S. recovery in an effort to woo swing voters. It reminds viewers just how grim things were in 2008, at the height of the financial meltdown, and presents Obama as someone who worked hard to improve the situation. But unlike Reagan, Obama doesn’t have a clear-cut economic recovery to run on. Obama’s ad also contains doom-and-gloom elements not present in Reagan’s ad.
The largely positive ad is the largest yet from Obama’s campaign in terms of states targeted. And its factual claims are true, as far as they go. The economic meltdown largely began under President George W. Bush, and under Obama, the economy has created more than 4.2 million jobs. But millions remain out of work and the unemployment rate is at 8.1 percent, a historically high level. Obama supported bailouts of General Motors and Chrysler and both companies have dramatically improved their standing. The president ordered a U.S. military raid that killed bin Laden and American troops have left Iraq.
Obama’s ad presents these accomplishments as strong signs of a recovery and a rejuvenated nation. His GOP opponent, Mitt Romney, has built a campaign around the notion that Obama hasn’t done enough to help the economy recover. Romney portrays the president as a feckless leader presiding over a sputtering recovery and not doing enough to key an American comeback. This ad represents Obama trying to blast his side of the story out to voters before Romney gets a chance to pick it apart.
Above all, though, the ad is designed to show Obama as a grounded optimist. In using clips of tea party rallies while a narrator talks about those who said “our best days were behind us” Obama is framing his opponents as the ones with a negative vision. After running a series of negative ads, including some responding to early attacks, this Obama message seeks to present him as aware of the nation’s challenges but looking forward.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30