WASHINGTON (AP) – TITLE: “Go”
LENGTH: 60 seconds
AIRING: Broadcast and cable TV stations in Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia, all key swing states.
KEY IMAGES: The year 2008 flashes across the screen followed by a series of grim images from that year: People waiting in line with pained looks, maps of homes being foreclosed and news footage from the stock market crash. The date 2008 stays in the corner of the screen as each image is shown, emphasizing that the nation’s economic tumult started before President Barack Obama took office.
After a scene at Obama’s inauguration, the images turn positive. The narrator notes the recovery of the auto industry and the raid that killed terrorist Osama bin Laden. As the narrator talks about Obama ending the Iraq war, a young girl rushes into the waiting arms of her father dressed in military fatigues. A graph showing job growth during Obama’s tenure is shown as the narrator says, “Instead of losing jobs, we’re creating them, over 4.2 million so far.”
“We’re not there yet. It’s still too hard for too many,” the narrator concludes. “But we’re coming back, because America’s greatness comes from a strong middle class. Because you don’t quit, and neither does he.”
ANALYSIS: Obama’s ad recalls the positive “morning in America” spot run by Republican Ronald Reagan in his 1984 re-election bid. Like that ad, Obama’s presents a narrative of U.S. recovery in an effort to woo swing voters. It reminds viewers just how grim things were in 2008, at the height of the financial meltdown, and presents Obama as someone who worked hard to improve the situation. But unlike Reagan, Obama doesn’t have a clear-cut economic recovery to run on. Obama’s ad also contains doom-and-gloom elements not present in Reagan’s ad.
The largely positive ad is the largest yet from Obama’s campaign in terms of states targeted. And its factual claims are true, as far as they go. The economic meltdown largely began under President George W. Bush, and under Obama, the economy has created more than 4.2 million jobs. But millions remain out of work and the unemployment rate is at 8.1 percent, a historically high level. Obama supported bailouts of General Motors and Chrysler and both companies have dramatically improved their standing. The president ordered a U.S. military raid that killed bin Laden and American troops have left Iraq.
Obama’s ad presents these accomplishments as strong signs of a recovery and a rejuvenated nation. His GOP opponent, Mitt Romney, has built a campaign around the notion that Obama hasn’t done enough to help the economy recover. Romney portrays the president as a feckless leader presiding over a sputtering recovery and not doing enough to key an American comeback. This ad represents Obama trying to blast his side of the story out to voters before Romney gets a chance to pick it apart.
Above all, though, the ad is designed to show Obama as a grounded optimist. In using clips of tea party rallies while a narrator talks about those who said “our best days were behind us” Obama is framing his opponents as the ones with a negative vision. After running a series of negative ads, including some responding to early attacks, this Obama message seeks to present him as aware of the nation’s challenges but looking forward.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31