If you’re going to take advice from someone’s mom, then why not “Good Morning America” host Robin Roberts’ mother? The 51-year-old is in great shape, she looks fantastic, she’s got a great job and she’s gracefully handled a brush with breast cancer and the destruction of her hometown in Hurricane Katrina. So if her mom writes an advice book, it’s one you should read. Fortunately, she has. Eighty-eight-year-old Lucimarian Roberts’ new book “My Story, My Song: Mother-Daughter Reflections on Life and Faith” is a testimony to a life lived by faith.
Lucimarian Tolliver Roberts was born and raised in Akron, Ohio, the first in her family to attend college. She graduated from Howard and she and her husband, Lawrence Roberts, one of the Tuskeegee Airmen, were married 57 years and raised four children in Pass Christian, Mississippi. The story is not without its pain. Roberts and her husband moved some 27 times during his military career. She handled her husband’s drinking, the ills of segregation and the challenges of losing a son-in-law as well as much of her family home when Katrina hit. She also helped her daughter deal with breast cancer, diagnosed in 2007. The book includes her accounts of the sustaining power of the Lord that Roberts’s mother and her children live by.
“It was a real labor of love,” Robin Roberts told Tavis Smiley on his PBS show. “We knocked heads a little bit, you know mother –daughter, but it was very important for her to tell her story and this is her story.” Roberts provides commentary at the end of each chapter. The book details a life that is dominated by faith and music, something that the elder Roberts finds, along with her religious faith, to be a primary source of solace in her life.
“I have always believed in the power of music, and when you put that together with a good story, I am hooked,” says Roberts’ “GMA” colleague Gayle King. “Thank you to Lucimarian Roberts for sharing her life s journey with us. And, oh, what a story– growing up with an alcoholic father, dealing with racial prejudice, raising four children, and married for fifty-seven years to a Tuskegee Airman! This story is an inspiring and poignant example of what really matters in life.”
See the trailer for “My Story, My Song” by Lucimarian Roberts below.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!