Singer, songwriter, vocalist and actor Ne-Yo has one more thing to add to his list of accomplishments: inductee into the Boys & Girls Club of America’s Hall of Fame.
The newly-minted vice president of the soul division of Motown and co-star of “Red Tails,” which will be released on DVD on May 22, was born Shaffer Smith in Arkansas and grew up in Henderson and Las Vegas, Nevada.
He and his sister Nicole, found plenty to keep them occupied at their neighborhood Boys & Girls Club. And the Grammy-winning recording artist has become an active alumnus of the Club. For example, he hosted his nonprofit foundation’s 3rd Annual Giving Tour at the Lied Memorial Boys & Girls Club, personally delivering MP3 players, bicycles, toys, and big hugs, to more than 500 deserving youth at the Club.
He also routinely visits Clubs in different cities when he travels and participates in the Club’s anti-bullying initiative.
In an interview with the Huffington Post, Ne-Yo said the Club in Las Vegas provided him a respite from bullying and healthy male role models.
Ne-Yo began his music career as a songwriter, writing material for Youngstown while still a teenager. His breakthrough hit was Mario’s “Let Me Love You,” in 2004.
One of his more recent collaborations has been with Conor Maynard, a British pop sensation who has been likened to Justin Bieber. It was a YouTube cover of Ne-Yo’s “Beautiful Monster” – which scored 1 million-plus views – that caught the Grammy winner’s attention and persuaded him to invite Maynard to L.A. for some studio work earlier this year.
Ne-Yo also teamed up with Calvin Harris, whose “Let’s Go,” reached number two on the UK singles chart over the weekend.
“Back in the day, Motown was on the pulse of young America. It was pop, it was R&B, all of that,” Ne-Yo told Complex magazine in a recent interview.
“They looked at my career and the artist that I’ve become. I feel like I am one of the few people who draw the line. I could do a record with Jeezy and turn around and do a record with OutKast.
“Not a lot of cats can do that. As far as the new roster, we got a lot of acts that we are really excited to know and get hands-on and make sure that your interests come out right.”
Also being inducted into the Boys & Girls Clubs of America Hall of Fame this week is Misty Copeland, the first African-American female soloist in more than 20 years at American Ballet Theatre.
Copeland, who appeared alongside Ne-Yo, Denzel Washington, Kerry Washington, and Jennifer Lopez last fall in the Boys & Girls Club’s nationally televised PSA, took her first ballet lesson on a basketball court at the Boys & Girls Club in San Pedro, Calif., at the age of 13.
Now, she will make history in June as the first ever African-American ballerina to perform the role of the Firebird at a major mainstream ballet company.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25