This week, Sin City looked a bit more like Tinseltown, as some 5000 folks from virtually all walks of the film universe gathered for the theater operators’ convention known as CinemaCon.
Among attendees were dozens of major and emerging movie stars who like to meet and greet exhibitors in hopes of getting their new releases into more cineplexes.
Actor-musician Tyrese Gibson of “Transformer” fame was there for another reason – to mentor eight student filmmakers with dreams of getting their own films shown on the big screen.
Oddly enough, Gibson’s first cinema memory came not in a cinema but at home, on videotape. “I don’t remember going to the theater,” he said at the theater operators’ closing-night gala. But he noted his first favorites on VHS were “Back to the Future” (1985) and “Ghost Busters” (1984). “These were, some way, somehow, the only two VHS tapes that we had in our house. So, I must have seen ‘Back to the Future’ over 150 times. We knew all the words to both the movies.”
Actor Taylor Kitsch, who appears in May’s “Battleship,” also cited “Future” as “the first movie that I saw in a cinema that really knocked me out,” he said. “You were taken away. It was done so well, especially at the time. And that’s what movies do. That’s what it’s about. Escape.”
Actress Jennifer Garner, pushing August’s Disney family dramedy “The Odd Life of Timothy Green,” recalled going to the theater to see the Lily Tomlin comedy, “The Incredible Shrinking Woman” (1981). “It was such a big deal that we went,” recalled Garner. “It was my older sister’s birthday, and I got to tag along. . I thought it was the coolest thing I’d ever seen in my life.”
“The Lion King” (1994) was the first film fave for Diego Boneta of the June musical “Rock of Ages.” ”Until this day, I always cry when (the father) Mufasa dies, and my favorite animal is a lion and I wish I could be (the cub who would be king) Simba.”
“One of the movies that I watched over and over was ‘Space Jam’ (1996), the cartoon movie with Michael Jordan in it,” remembered Josh Hutcherson of the “Hunger Games.” ”And I think the movie that changed how I viewed movies was ‘Fight Club’ (1999). It just blew my mind. It’s a big leap, from ‘Space Jam’ to ‘Fight Club,’ but just bear with me on that.”
Anna Faris of May’s “The Dictator” said, “My mom took me to the movies to see ‘Annie’ (1982) when I was 4 or 5. And she bought me some candy, those candy orange segments, which were amazing. I remember being terrified at (Carol Burnett’s villainous) Miss Hannigan, and then later on I came to admire her very much,” Faris added, with a sinister smile.
“I never saw it in a theater until my 13th birthday,” said Chloe Grace of the forthcoming “Dark Shadows.” ”But it’s the movie that struck me the most, as a young girl and as an actress, ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ (1961), because I saw Audrey Hepburn on the screen, and you wanted to be in her world, you wanted to be beside her. You wanted to be walking down Fifth Avenue with her, sharing that croissant.”
Charlize Theron of June’s “Snow White and the Huntsman” revealed she “learned everything from love, watching ‘Splash’ (1984), and that’s why I’m still single,” generating big laughs from the audience. “So, thanks Tom Hanks, Daryl Hannah, for that.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31