When I formed the Tom Joyner Foundation along with my sons 12 years ago, it was a way for me to do something I learned from my mom – to give back.
When people ask me about how much money the foundation has given to help students remain in historically black colleges and universities, they are often more impressed with the $60 million amount than the reason I did it. I did it because it was what I was able to do. What I want people to understand most about giving is that they should never get caught up in what other people are doing or not doing. Their only concern should be doing what they’re able to do. It could be to give money, time, talent or prayer. It’s all needed in most situations.
What I’ve always wanted to do, even more than give money to students who were already attending HBCUs, was to find away for EVERYONE to go. When I first made that wish known several years ago, it seemed about as likely as seeing an African-American president in our lifetime! I haven’t found a way to make that happen exactly, but I’m getting closer. Today, I proudly announce HBCUsOnline, an online degree program that will make it possible for more people to realize their dream (and my dream for them) of getting a degree from a historically black college or university.
HBCUsOnline was born out of love – and practicality. Let’s face it: As much as we love and cherish HBCUs and will continue to be devoted to what they’ve given to so many of us, it’s no secret that enrollment at HBCUs continues to go down. Fewer blacks are attending HBCUs, but more black people are seeking degrees. Instead of attending traditional institutions, many are turning to mainstream online colleges. In fact, there are more black students enrolled at the University of Phoenix than all of the HBCUs combined.
So, what can we learn from this staggering statistic? Mainly, that it’s a new day, and people are not just looking for – but have found – a new way. For me, there were two choices: We could either watch the game or get in it!
The reality is that a lot of us don’t realize how important it is to have a college degree until we’re on a job or in a career where there’s no way to advance because we don’t have the proper credentials. So, even though kids fresh out of high school are welcome to enroll, the real idea of HBCUsOnline is to cater to older adults who recognize that a degree or certificate isn’t just helpful in today’s world; it’s mandatory to succeed.
But why should mainstream online colleges like University of Phoenix have all the fun? They won’t now that we’re in business.
HBCUsOnline brings to the table all that you would want from a historically black college or university – the nurturing, the legacy, the pride, the fun and, most importantly, the expectation of success.
Right now, you can enroll and begin working toward becoming a graduate of either Hampton or Texas Southern University, and more universities will be announced soon. Along with all the courses of study needed, HBCUsOnline has your back. Our Student Support Plus program gives you individualized assistance from registration to graduation. We’ve been there, and we know all that it takes to get you through.
The bottom line is we’re giving you an opportunity to become more than a number; we’re offering you a chance to become a family member. Join the family of HBCU graduates, or at least find out if the time is right for you. Go to HBCUsOnline and get all the information.
It’s new day and a great day! HBCUsOnline is open for business! Go, Tigers! Go, Pirates! Go register! It’s HBCUsOnline. And don’t forget the “S.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31