Shaw University had double cause for celebration this spring.
One year after a tornado swept through Raleigh, N.C. and hit the campus, damaging 27 buildings and six buildings destroying part or all of the roofs on six buildings, the university held a special “Open House” on the steps of the Willie E. Gary Student Center earlier this month to thank the volunteers, donors and officials who provided assistance to repair and restore the buildings.
On March 23, the Shaw University Lady Bears defeated Ashland (OH) University 88-82 in overtime to claim the 2012 NCAA Division II National Women’s Basketball championship, its first NCAA championship.
Five of the unranked Lady Bears’ six wins in this year’s tournament came over nationally ranked teams, four of them in the Top 10. After the tournament, Shaw was voted the top-ranked team in the nation in the USA Today ESPN poll.
In recognition of the team’s accomplishments, The D-II Bulletin named head coach Jacques Curtis its national Coach of the Year.
The Lady Bears, who compete in the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA), won the conference tournament for the second straight season and the seventh time in 10 years. This year was the conference’s 100th anniversary and in winning the national championship, Shaw becomes only the third women’s basketball team from the CIAA to claim the NCAA crown (Virginia Union in 1983 and Hampton in 1988). This year was the Lady Bears’ ninth trip to the NCAA Tournament.
Maybe Shaw’s good fortune is due to the return of interim President Dorothy Yancy, who took the helm in the fall, replacing former President Irma McClaurin.
It’s Yancy’s second tour of duty as interim president. She previously held the post from June 2009 until Sept.2010, when McClaurin was named.
Yancy also spent 14 years as president of Johnson C. Smith University, where she ran two successful capital campaigns and raised more than $145 million for the school and increased its endowment from $14 million to $53 million.
Shaw, the oldest historically black college or university in the South, is in the process of seeking re-accreditation, which is crucial for getting federal funding.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25