Edolphus Towns, the Democratic congressman from New York City who was a longtime political stalwart for his working-class Brooklyn district, won’t be running for a 16th term, his office said Monday.
Towns assistant Allan Joseph told The Associated Press that the 77-year-old lawmaker will retire in January after 30 years in Congress.
Towns, who would have faced a three-way Democratic primary, said in a statement that he made the decision after months of family discussions, but “I believe firmly that we would have won a 16th term had we decided to run.”
During his time in Congress, he said he brought millions of dollars of improvements to neighborhoods including Bedford-Stuyvesant, East New York, Canarsie, Brownsville, Fort Greene, Midwood, Clinton Hill, Mill Basin, Boreum Hill and parts of Williamsburg and Cypress Hills.
Towns says he fought Wall Street corruption as chairman of the congressional Committee on Oversight and Government Reform and helped to bring health care to uninsured Americans.
He also sat on the Energy and Commerce Committee.
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi called Towns “a dedicated public servant” who “worked to improve the lives of others.” In a statement, she said Towns “never forgot his roots as a social worker, fighting for the less fortunate and offering a powerful voice for justice.”
The congressman gave no specific reason for his decision.
Baruch College political scientist Doug Muzzio said that while Towns accrued seniority and “some influence” in Congress, the widespread belief was “that this might be it for him.”
The congressman has made little effort to position himself for re-election.
“He didn’t raise funds, didn’t go to endorsement meetings, didn’t do the things you’d do if you were running,” said Muzzio.
Towns would have faced one of the toughest primary challenges of his career on June 26 from state Assemblyman Hakeem Jeffries.
New York City Councilman Charles Barron also is running for Towns’ seat.
“It would have been a really bruising primary, requiring a very, very active campaign,” Muzzio said. “And maybe he figured there was a good possibility he would lose, so he might as well walk out under his own power rather than be carried out in an electoral box.”
In addition, Towns has become politically vulnerable in the wake of other setbacks.
In May, he failed to win a district leader seat in the Kings County Democratic Party.
Redistricting will bring in more white voters to the mostly black district, “and Jeffries, given his more eclectic approach and base, would appeal to those voters,” Muzzio said. He said that Jeffries, who is black, “has reached across racial, ethnic and class lines.”
The son of a North Carolina sharecropper, Towns was first elected to Congress in 1982.
Previously, he was Brooklyn’s first black deputy borough president, and before that, an administrator at the city’s Beth Israel Medical Center.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31