Actress and Grammy winner LeToya Luckett leads an ensemble cast in “For Richer or Poorer,” the first of GMC network’s new four-part inspirational drama series, premiering Saturday at 7 p.m. ET.
The show is the first in the series of marital issue-themed plays for the family entertainment network. Luckett is joined by Rockmond Dunbar, Angell Conwell, Clifton Powell and gospel music icon Karen Clark Sheard, who is making her television acting debut.
“For Richer or Poorer” is based on an original screenplay written by Cas Sigers Beedles (“A Cross to Bear”, “If You Really Love Me”) and directed by Roger Melvin (“The Love You Save,” “If You Really Love Me”).
Married and affluent couple Kya and Aubrey Wilson are cruising along in a happy marriage until Aubrey suddenly loses his six-figure job after a company audit reveals his boss was embezzling funds. Pretty much living up to every penny they bring in, the couple’s marriage is strained by enforced belt-tightening and resulting recriminations that come when the financial rug is pulled out from under a couple.
“For Richer or Poorer’s” story of a marriage tested by financial hardship is one I think many of our viewers will be able to relate to in the current economic climate,” Leslie Chesloff, GMC’s executive vice president of programming, said in a news release announcing the new series.
“Many families are losing jobs and homes—or worried about the possibility of losing jobs andhomes—and are being forced to downsize. This story explores how a couple chooses to respond to this difficultsituation. With wedding season kicking off, we thought it was the perfect time to explore this and other marital challenges and triumphs with this four-part gospel stage play series.”
“For Richer or Poorer” will be followed by: “From This Day Forward” in May, “In Sickness and Health” in June and “To Love and Cherish” in September, each with a different cast. GMC has been twice awarded The Parents Television Council’s Entertainment Seal of Approval™ for wholesome programming.
Luckett, an original member of “Destiny’s Child,” joined the group in 1993 and decided in 2003 to pursue a solo recording career, signing with Capitol Records. Her self-titled debut album, “LeToya”, was released on July 25, 2006 debuting at No. 1 number on the U.S. Billboard 200 and has been certified platinum.
In 1999, Luckett took up acting in a series of TV and film roles, including turns in the feature films “Killers,” “Preacher’s Kid,” “From the Rough” and the critically acclaimed HBO series “Treme.”
She is currently filming the indie film “Note to Self.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31