ATLANTA (AP) — The health care think tank created by Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich is going out of business.
The Gingrich Group, also known as the Center for Health Transformation, filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in federal court in Atlanta on Wednesday. The bankruptcy filing marks an abrupt turn for a group that raised millions of dollars just a few years ago to support and promote Gingrich’s health care ideas.
The center’s filings indicate it has liabilities between $1 million and $10 million and between 50 and 99 creditors. The group had assets of only up to $100,000, the filing said.
Gingrich cut ties to the Center for Health Transformation and the Gingrich Group in May 2011 as he prepared his presidential run, said his attorney Stefan Passantino.
“It did exceptionally well under his leadership. What this shows is that he was integral to the operation and success of the operation,” Passantino said. “It’s not in any way a failure of leadership or management on his part. It just demonstrates how vital he was to the organization.”
Gingrich’s group created the for-profit center in 2003 to focus on health-related initiatives like improved health care technology, Medicare changes and President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul. At its peak, it attracted a range of healthcare providers, academics and others who shelled out big bucks to become members, the attorney said.
“It didn’t have the same appeal to the members as it had before when he left,” Passantino said.
The filing lists dozens of creditors, including Passantino’s law firm McKenna Long & Aldridge, Gallup Inc. and Gingrich Productions, the film company run by Gingrich’s wife, Callista.
The former House speaker’s campaign has faded from the presidential spotlight after he won the South Carolina primary in January. Since then he has won only the primary in his former home state of Georgia, which he represented in Congress for decades, while Rick Santorum emerged as front-runner Mitt Romney’s chief rival.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
28 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 28
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 28
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 28
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 28
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 28
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 28
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 28
8. new new
8 of 28
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 28
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 28
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 28
12 of 28
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 28
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 28
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 28
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 28
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 28
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 28
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 28
20 of 28
21. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
21 of 28
22. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
22 of 28
23. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
23 of 28
24. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
24 of 28
25. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
25 of 28
26. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
26 of 28
27. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
27 of 28
28. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
28 of 28