When Tavis Smiley let us know he wanted to make an announcement on the TJMS, we opened the doors as we would any family member. And Tavis, being Tavis, burst in like he’d never left.
By the time he was done letting us know about his new and improved, but kind of similar State of the Black Union-type event to be televised somewhere on March 20th, the texters, tweeters and callers were blowing up their technology of choice. The messages ran the gamut from “It’s good to have Tavis back” to “Tavis needs psychological help.” And that’s the thing about Tavis and why he’s great on the radio. Whether you love him or hate him, one thing’s for sure: You’ll be talking about him.
I don’t agree with everything Tavis says or does, but I love him because he’s family. You have someone like that in your family, too. We all do.
“He’s using you, Tom.” “He’s been gone all this time, and now, when he has something to announce, he comes on your show, and you just allow it.” Yep. And I wouldn’t turn him down any more than you’d turn away your brother if he showed up at the house after a couple of years.
When the family preacher, Rev. Al Sharpton, called in, he had to check Brother Tavis – in love. I know you couldn’t really hear the love, but it was there. You know how I know? Because we’re family. We can get angry, ugly, critical and even unreasonable at breakfast, and be laughing again by dinner time.
I say all that to say this: What happened on the TJMS yesterday happened because both Rev. Al and Tavis are about as passionate as they come about issues that are important to black America. They may take different routes to get there, but in the end, they are in the same place, fighting to make things better for us.
You can try to keep the fire going if you want to. You can fan the flames by talking about what Tavis’ motives are or aren’t or whether Rev. Al let his ego get the best of him. You can keep it going for as long as you want. But don’t let it distract you so much that you lose sight of what’s really important. The economy, the job market, the rising cost of health care, and the war have a bigger impact on us than it does any other group. Tavis and Rev. Al agree that President Obama’s agenda has got to include a strategy that will bring African-Americans up from where we are to a place we need to be – not just to survive, but to thrive.
Those of us who really care and are advocates for change won’t let a few heated words turn us around. We will move forward – working, marching, laughing, crying and praying together, like family. Because that’s who we are.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25