Next Monday, my two-hour special with Chris Matthews, “Obama’s America: 2010 and Beyond,” airs on MSNBC because in 2010, not only are we still bogged down with the issue of race; we’re still stuck on color! Turn on the news, and everyone is talking about Sen. Harry Reid’s comments about President Barack Obama, saying the then-presidential candidate was light-skinned with no Negro dialect.
The war, unemployment, the lack of a health care bill and security issues haven’t gone away, but right now, the question is should Sen. Reid have to step down from his majority leader post for his words about the president even though the president himself is ready to move on?
In a meeting of my staff yesterday, they went off-course for a moment and examined when and if they could get past race. It began when one of my producers asked when it would be okay for black people to seriously criticize President Obama. The consensus pretty much was right now in private, but publicly never. Most of the people, mostly black and female, felt very passionate about and protective of the president. Not only would they almost always defend him in public, but they couldn’t even bear to hear him being criticized, especially by white people.
Is this a healthy attitude? Maybe not. Will anyone be able to change their thinking? I doubt it. Should anyone try to change it? Probably not.
The reason racism still is on the forefront is because people pretty much feel the way they do and aren’t that interested in changing. If they were, we would have seen much more movement by now.
On the heels of Sen. Reid’s comments came perhaps the dumbest comment ever. Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was quoted in Esquire magazine saying “I’m blacker than Barack Obama. I shined shoes. I grew up in a five-room apartment. My father had a little laundromat in a black community not far from where he lived. I saw it all growing up.”
What do you do with that? Where do you start? It’s wrong on so many levels that just telling him it’s wrong and hearing him apologize is a waste of time.
How far have we come on the issue of race? Pretty far. How much farther do we need to go? Pretty far.
But we keep talking about it – and people want to hear us talk about it. Roland Martin made an excellent point this morning on the show and last night on CNN. He said the only time mainstream media wants to talk to black folks is when there’s an issue involving race. I agree. Those same people are available to talk about health care, unemployment, the war – you name it.
I always say I don’t expect mainstream media to do much more than they have to do when it comes to representing African-Americans. That’s what we’re for. The TJMS, BlackAmericaWeb.com, TV One and other black media outlets are where you can always find black people commenting about important issues that are of interest to all people, whether it’s Black History Month or not.
I would be kidding myself to think MSNBC would have asked me to participate in the town hall meeting if we did not have a black president and there was going to be no discussion of race. But as they say, “It is what it is.” My job is to represent you, and that’s why I’ve asked you to send questions and comments – and you’ve answered the call.
This year, the all-important Census 2010 is an opportunity for everyone
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31