Yesterday, we talked to Alvin Greene, a candidate for Senate from the state of South Carolina. Between the questions asked by Roland and Sybil, it was clear that they were not with this brother at all. They fired off a barrage of really tough questions, like “Where did you get the money to run?” “Where is your campaign office headquartered?” And “Are you guilty of being a sex felon?”
Brother Alvin got stumped by most of those questions, and he quickly became a joke to a lot of the listeners. And I have a problem with that.
I admit that in the beginning, when I first heard about Alvin Greene, I was suspicious that he was put up to running by the Republicans – and it could still be true. But until I’m convinced of it, I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt. If I don’t, who will? Here’s a black man who could be on the up-and-up. And if he is, what’s wrong with him running for the Senate?
Aren’t we the ones who complain about people buying their way into office? How offices like U.S. Senator are held by an elite club made of mostly of very rich, very white men? So here’s an average, everyday guy – who is not a political insider – who was able to get enough votes to be placed on the ballot. He has more in common with the average voter than most of us, and based on his platform – justice, jobs and education – he’s qualified. He’s got a case, so he needs justice and will fight for it; he’s out of work, so he will try to improve the unemployment situation in S.C.; and he’s no stranger to education – he’s a graduate from the University of South Carolina where he majored in political science. Even though he wasn’t the strongest speaker I’ve ever heard, a college degree from a major university is nothing to scoff at.
There have been people who’ve done far more with far less in the political arena; the difference is, they usually aren’t black people. The status quo has been for black people to have to be overqualified for high -profile positions in corporate America and national American politics as well. Being average is not an option at all.
Look at President Obama. Even with all of his credentials, he regularly had to explain what made him qualified to run this country. He had everything that Alvin Greene didn’t, and he still had a tough time — not just with critics concerned about his political views, but with people, black and white, who asked if he was ready to be president even though he was a young, brilliant, Harvard Law-educated U.S. senator. Now that he has set the bar so high, will every black politician be expected to have a similar pedigree? And if so, what does that mean for the rest of the more ordinary African-American politicians or just people with good ideas who have aspirations of holding office? If Alvin Greene is a joke, he’ll show his hand soon enough. And that will be done.
My support is not necessarily for Alvin Greene the man, but for Alvin Greene the principle – that any man or woman with a solid platform, in spite of his or her bank account, can run for office and win. If Alvin Greene is for real, what he needs is a good campaign manager, a good speechwriter, a good fundraiser and a good lawyer. We don’t know what he could actually offer this country if given a chance.
When we immediately clown the Alvin Greenes of the world, we are sending a dangerous message, and I don’t want to be a part of that. So, even though I can’t vote for him, I’m with him. I jumped out there and blindly supported candidate Obama before he became a rock star, and I’m doing the same for Alvin Greene. I would even put one of his bumper stickers on my car – if only he had one.
In the meantime, I’m going to re-watch Eddie Murphy’s movie, “The Distinguished Gentleman,” and I suggest that Alvin Greene do the same. Go Greene!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31