Yesterday, we talked to Alvin Greene, a candidate for Senate from the state of South Carolina. Between the questions asked by Roland and Sybil, it was clear that they were not with this brother at all. They fired off a barrage of really tough questions, like “Where did you get the money to run?” “Where is your campaign office headquartered?” And “Are you guilty of being a sex felon?”
Brother Alvin got stumped by most of those questions, and he quickly became a joke to a lot of the listeners. And I have a problem with that.
I admit that in the beginning, when I first heard about Alvin Greene, I was suspicious that he was put up to running by the Republicans – and it could still be true. But until I’m convinced of it, I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt. If I don’t, who will? Here’s a black man who could be on the up-and-up. And if he is, what’s wrong with him running for the Senate?
Aren’t we the ones who complain about people buying their way into office? How offices like U.S. Senator are held by an elite club made of mostly of very rich, very white men? So here’s an average, everyday guy – who is not a political insider – who was able to get enough votes to be placed on the ballot. He has more in common with the average voter than most of us, and based on his platform – justice, jobs and education – he’s qualified. He’s got a case, so he needs justice and will fight for it; he’s out of work, so he will try to improve the unemployment situation in S.C.; and he’s no stranger to education – he’s a graduate from the University of South Carolina where he majored in political science. Even though he wasn’t the strongest speaker I’ve ever heard, a college degree from a major university is nothing to scoff at.
There have been people who’ve done far more with far less in the political arena; the difference is, they usually aren’t black people. The status quo has been for black people to have to be overqualified for high -profile positions in corporate America and national American politics as well. Being average is not an option at all.
Look at President Obama. Even with all of his credentials, he regularly had to explain what made him qualified to run this country. He had everything that Alvin Greene didn’t, and he still had a tough time — not just with critics concerned about his political views, but with people, black and white, who asked if he was ready to be president even though he was a young, brilliant, Harvard Law-educated U.S. senator. Now that he has set the bar so high, will every black politician be expected to have a similar pedigree? And if so, what does that mean for the rest of the more ordinary African-American politicians or just people with good ideas who have aspirations of holding office? If Alvin Greene is a joke, he’ll show his hand soon enough. And that will be done.
My support is not necessarily for Alvin Greene the man, but for Alvin Greene the principle – that any man or woman with a solid platform, in spite of his or her bank account, can run for office and win. If Alvin Greene is for real, what he needs is a good campaign manager, a good speechwriter, a good fundraiser and a good lawyer. We don’t know what he could actually offer this country if given a chance.
When we immediately clown the Alvin Greenes of the world, we are sending a dangerous message, and I don’t want to be a part of that. So, even though I can’t vote for him, I’m with him. I jumped out there and blindly supported candidate Obama before he became a rock star, and I’m doing the same for Alvin Greene. I would even put one of his bumper stickers on my car – if only he had one.
In the meantime, I’m going to re-watch Eddie Murphy’s movie, “The Distinguished Gentleman,” and I suggest that Alvin Greene do the same. Go Greene!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30