We have a few mamas on the TJMS crew, and they carry a heavy load. You can imagine how much work is required when you work for the hardest working man in radio. Added to that, they’ve got husbands, kids, parents, in-laws and pets all demanding something from them. Sometimes I see that they’re pushed to the limit, and I don’t like it. When they’re stressed out, everybody feels it, including me. And as the old saying goes, “If mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.”
Years ago, a wise mama I know wanted to go on a trip to Las Vegas with her girls, but couldn’t figure out a way to legitimately get out of the house. She had obligations to her man and to her son, and no one wanted to make the sacrifice she so needed and deserved. So, she did something that I recommend to mothers everywhere: She played crazy. For just one moment, she lost her mind. She yelled, she cussed, she slammed things down, and when she got finished, her loved ones practically escorted her out the house and to her car. Whatever she wanted that day, she could have gotten.
Playing the crazy card is practically foolproof. Note that I said PRACTICALLY. Like the race card, the sex card and the Big Joker, playing these cards takes some forethought and finesse. When you play them without looking at the big picture and strategizing the outcome or whether the timing is right, you’ve wasted a perfectly good opportunity to do something that will be meaningful and beneficial. When you don’t follow these rules, you just make a fool out of yourself.
1. You have to choose your battles carefully, mamas. And you have to make sure all the necessary parties are there to see or hear your performance.
2. You have to make sure what you’re trying to achieve is worthy of using your crazy card. Don’t waste it on something like wanting to watch a show on BET when that show will be repeated 17 more times.
3. And here’s the most important rule of all. Don’t play the crazy card too often. If you’re going around hollering and screaming all the time, first of all, you may really be crazy and secondly, it loses its effect.
What you want here is shock value. Your mate and children should literally be shaking, and their mouths should be hanging open. They should be trying to figure out what they can do as a unit to ensure that they will never see you act like this again. They should lie awake that night playing the scene over and over in their heads. It should be marked on their calendars: “The day Mama went crazy.”
Oh, when done right, it’s a beautiful thing for everyone because Mama will be perfectly happy — free to leave town, go get a pedicure, soak in the tub uninterrupted or to do whatever the heck she pleases, or to get her family to do whatever the heck she wants them to do.
If you’ve played the crazy card – knowingly pretended to lose your mind to get something you wanted from your family – or you’ve seen it from your mom, grandma, auntie or sister, holla at me on BlackAmericaWeb, Facebook, Twitter, the phone or text me at OhOhOh (646464).
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25