We have a few mamas on the TJMS crew, and they carry a heavy load. You can imagine how much work is required when you work for the hardest working man in radio. Added to that, they’ve got husbands, kids, parents, in-laws and pets all demanding something from them. Sometimes I see that they’re pushed to the limit, and I don’t like it. When they’re stressed out, everybody feels it, including me. And as the old saying goes, “If mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.”
Years ago, a wise mama I know wanted to go on a trip to Las Vegas with her girls, but couldn’t figure out a way to legitimately get out of the house. She had obligations to her man and to her son, and no one wanted to make the sacrifice she so needed and deserved. So, she did something that I recommend to mothers everywhere: She played crazy. For just one moment, she lost her mind. She yelled, she cussed, she slammed things down, and when she got finished, her loved ones practically escorted her out the house and to her car. Whatever she wanted that day, she could have gotten.
Playing the crazy card is practically foolproof. Note that I said PRACTICALLY. Like the race card, the sex card and the Big Joker, playing these cards takes some forethought and finesse. When you play them without looking at the big picture and strategizing the outcome or whether the timing is right, you’ve wasted a perfectly good opportunity to do something that will be meaningful and beneficial. When you don’t follow these rules, you just make a fool out of yourself.
1. You have to choose your battles carefully, mamas. And you have to make sure all the necessary parties are there to see or hear your performance.
2. You have to make sure what you’re trying to achieve is worthy of using your crazy card. Don’t waste it on something like wanting to watch a show on BET when that show will be repeated 17 more times.
3. And here’s the most important rule of all. Don’t play the crazy card too often. If you’re going around hollering and screaming all the time, first of all, you may really be crazy and secondly, it loses its effect.
What you want here is shock value. Your mate and children should literally be shaking, and their mouths should be hanging open. They should be trying to figure out what they can do as a unit to ensure that they will never see you act like this again. They should lie awake that night playing the scene over and over in their heads. It should be marked on their calendars: “The day Mama went crazy.”
Oh, when done right, it’s a beautiful thing for everyone because Mama will be perfectly happy — free to leave town, go get a pedicure, soak in the tub uninterrupted or to do whatever the heck she pleases, or to get her family to do whatever the heck she wants them to do.
If you’ve played the crazy card – knowingly pretended to lose your mind to get something you wanted from your family – or you’ve seen it from your mom, grandma, auntie or sister, holla at me on BlackAmericaWeb, Facebook, Twitter, the phone or text me at OhOhOh (646464).
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31