Monday meant back-to-school for many of you, three little words that usually either spread joy or terror for children and their parents.
Either way, it means you’re really involved in you children’s lives and are in touch with what’s going on at school. So, once you get over all the drama surrounding back-to-school shopping, you can really think about the role you will play this year at your children’s school — and in ensuring they excell. Because even though you just spent a grip on sneakers, back packs and whatever else the school requests, that’s the easy part. If you’re suffering from post traumatic school shopping disorder, check out the blog by a “Mama Gone Wild,” our senior producer Nikki Woods. She feels you.
But for every parent who is out there in the trenches making sure their child has everything needed to be prepared, there are a few who are unable or unwilling to even try to make sure their kids are successful in school.
And sometimes parents come up short because their plates are just entirely too full.
When a mom or dad has to carry the entire load in raising a family — earning the money, making sure the kids stay in school, in church and on the sports teams — something usually (not always, but usually) falls through the cracks.
So moms and dads, single and married need to learn how to ask for help. There’s no shame in saying to your friends and family members that your load is too heavy.
Your child’s education needs to be a very high priority on the list of all the things you have to oversee. Grandparents, aunties and uncles are resources for you, but you should also check out organizations that offer tutoring services, etc. to children.
And if you’re a friend or family member watching a mom or dad struggle to handle their business, the best thing you can do is offer your time and talents when you can.
When you look at education today, like so many other things, the gap between less-than-standard and outstanding is probably wider than its ever been. In other words, a lot of kids are getting either a really awful or a really good education, and a lot of it depends on what their parents and their support can afford.
It isn’t supposed to be like way. We all pay taxes to support the schools in the neighborhoods where we live, and even though you should expect that school in the area with the higher school taxes might have a nicer gym, in a perfect world, that’s where the differences would end. But the truth is many public schools not only lack decent gyms; they don’t have gym equipment or even a P.E. program at all. Private and charter schools are taking the best, brightest children — and their parents — and leaving public schools in turmoil, and once again, the poorer schools are hit the hardest and suffer the worst.
But even at the smallest, poorest pubic school, there’s a pool of parents and children determined to succeed against the odds. These are the parents and children who hang in there and believe that if they can just get through the system, out of high school and into college, they will be better off. A lot of these families look in the direction of HBCUs, but in a lot of cases, these schools are having the same kinds of issues as the poverty-stricken public schools are having. Mainstream colleges and universities are offering very attractive incentives to kids who they at one time had no interest in — poor, black with average SAT scores.
We’ve got a lot of work to do and a lot of things to save, but it starts with the person closest to you because that’s the person that’s easiest for you to reach. Whether it’s money for school supplies, help with homework, chaperoning a field trip or passing the word about the Tom Joyner Virtual College Fair, everybody can do something to the lighten the load of parents with kids in school. If you missed Roland’s interview with education secretary Arnie Duncan, he had some great tips for parents and the people who love them.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31