Monday meant back-to-school for many of you, three little words that usually either spread joy or terror for children and their parents.
Either way, it means you’re really involved in you children’s lives and are in touch with what’s going on at school. So, once you get over all the drama surrounding back-to-school shopping, you can really think about the role you will play this year at your children’s school — and in ensuring they excell. Because even though you just spent a grip on sneakers, back packs and whatever else the school requests, that’s the easy part. If you’re suffering from post traumatic school shopping disorder, check out the blog by a “Mama Gone Wild,” our senior producer Nikki Woods. She feels you.
But for every parent who is out there in the trenches making sure their child has everything needed to be prepared, there are a few who are unable or unwilling to even try to make sure their kids are successful in school.
And sometimes parents come up short because their plates are just entirely too full.
When a mom or dad has to carry the entire load in raising a family — earning the money, making sure the kids stay in school, in church and on the sports teams — something usually (not always, but usually) falls through the cracks.
So moms and dads, single and married need to learn how to ask for help. There’s no shame in saying to your friends and family members that your load is too heavy.
Your child’s education needs to be a very high priority on the list of all the things you have to oversee. Grandparents, aunties and uncles are resources for you, but you should also check out organizations that offer tutoring services, etc. to children.
And if you’re a friend or family member watching a mom or dad struggle to handle their business, the best thing you can do is offer your time and talents when you can.
When you look at education today, like so many other things, the gap between less-than-standard and outstanding is probably wider than its ever been. In other words, a lot of kids are getting either a really awful or a really good education, and a lot of it depends on what their parents and their support can afford.
It isn’t supposed to be like way. We all pay taxes to support the schools in the neighborhoods where we live, and even though you should expect that school in the area with the higher school taxes might have a nicer gym, in a perfect world, that’s where the differences would end. But the truth is many public schools not only lack decent gyms; they don’t have gym equipment or even a P.E. program at all. Private and charter schools are taking the best, brightest children — and their parents — and leaving public schools in turmoil, and once again, the poorer schools are hit the hardest and suffer the worst.
But even at the smallest, poorest pubic school, there’s a pool of parents and children determined to succeed against the odds. These are the parents and children who hang in there and believe that if they can just get through the system, out of high school and into college, they will be better off. A lot of these families look in the direction of HBCUs, but in a lot of cases, these schools are having the same kinds of issues as the poverty-stricken public schools are having. Mainstream colleges and universities are offering very attractive incentives to kids who they at one time had no interest in — poor, black with average SAT scores.
We’ve got a lot of work to do and a lot of things to save, but it starts with the person closest to you because that’s the person that’s easiest for you to reach. Whether it’s money for school supplies, help with homework, chaperoning a field trip or passing the word about the Tom Joyner Virtual College Fair, everybody can do something to the lighten the load of parents with kids in school. If you missed Roland’s interview with education secretary Arnie Duncan, he had some great tips for parents and the people who love them.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30