Take A Loved One To The Doctor Day

Comments: 3  | Leave A Comment
  • advertisement
  • Got a medical question for Dr. Rameck Hunt? Text your queries to OhOhOh (646464).

    Dr. Hunt is one-third of The Three Doctors, a trio of childhood friends who committed themselves to pursuing careers in medicine. Dr. Hunt is a board certified internist at University Medical Center at Princeton and Assistant Professor of Medicine at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

    Besides the children and elderly, is it truly that important for adults in my age range (late 20s) to get the flu vaccine?

    DR. HUNT: Yes. The flu session officially starts the first week in October, but the regular flu vaccine is available now. Get your flu shot! And that’s especially if you are in one of the high risk groups.

    My doctor told me I have vertigo. I’ve tried antibiotics, Mucinex, Claritan and Flonase. It Helped a little, but I still have dizziness & sinus pressure. Please help.

    DR. HUNT: Vertigo has many causes. Your doctor did a lot of the appropriate initial things. You could have something called BPPV or benign paroxsymal positional vertigo, A vertigo that happens when you change the position of your head. There are treatments for that. I would go see an ENT, an ear nose and throat doctor.

    Are there long-term affects from having frequent laryngitis?

    DR. HUNT: There can be long-term affects from frequent laryngitis. You can get vocal cord polyps or other issues. You should have the underlying cause addressed. I would go see an ENT so they can address this. Often times, they will look at your vocal cords with a special camera to find out the cause.

    My husband get nose bleeds when he gets hot. What’s the cause?

    DR. HUNT: If you have nose bleeds and high blood pressure, it could be from the high blood pressure, especially if your blood pressure is not controlled. But more importantly, it could mean that you have very fragile veins in your nose that are prone to bleeding if the air is dry, etc. I would consult an ENT.

    What could it mean if you have numbness in your thigh?

    DR. HUNT: Numbness in your thigh could come from a number of things. Sometimes the pain can be from a nerve that is being compressed, especially if you are overweight. It’s called lateral nerve syndrome (or meralgia paresthetica). It also could be originating from your lower back. I suggest you go to see your doctor to figure it out.

    I take Coumadin. If my doctor keeps changing the amount I take every other week, because my Protyme levels are too high, should I consult another doctor?

    DR. HUNT: Taking Coumadin is a very tricky thing at times. The dose is adjusted based off your INR. The key is consistency – I tell all my patients that. Consistency in your diet will keep your INR consistent. If you eat a lot of green leafy veggies that have a lot of Vitamin K in them, it can change your INR. I tell patients it’s okay to eat your greens; just be consistent with the amount you eat every week.

    My boyfriend has erectile dysfunction. Is there something that can be done about it? And how do I bring the subject up to him that he needs help?

    DR HUNT: There are medicinces that can help erectile dysfunction – Viagra, Cialis and Levitra, to name a few. I would suggest he goes to see a doctor because it could result from a medical issue he is having and not know, or it could be from emotional stress or things like that.

    What class of medicine is most effective to prevent migraines? The imitrex-type medicines (the “triptans” as they are called for short) are the most widely used medicines.

    DR. HUNT: Make sure you talk to your doctor to get the right diagnosis. Sometimes headaches could be tension headaches or from caffeine withdrawal headaches, to name a few causes. Consult your physician.

    1 2Next page »


    Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

    Join 3,669 other followers