The news that we are no longer being broadcast on a local radio station in Chicago has caused many people to react exactly the way black radio advocacy trained generations to react — by recognizing the power of their pens and their voices. But even knowing that we had millions of listeners and supporters, I have been overwhelmed by the enormous number of people who have called, written and sent e-mails and text messages. Members of Text Tom have been getting their messages right through to me, and some of you are so committed to the cause, its downright scary! But hey, keep texting me, and I’ll keep reading! My blog is another way to keep me up to date on what your thoughts are and another way for us to keep the line of communication open.
BlackAmericaWeb.com is here to serve our audience day or night and has been the lifeline between us and fans in Chicago and other parts of the country where we aren’t heard. The number of people tuning into “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” continues to grow and will grow even larger as more people realize they can use their computer at work to do more than play Solitaire! And, as old-school as I am, I have to quickly become up to date with all the social media outlets and the creative ways you all are using to make yourselves heard and read — Facebook and Twitter — yes, I said Twitter. Y’all better recognize! I’ve gone from a plain-paper-fax man to a Tweeter in record time, and I’m looking forward to hearing about the next person who started a write-in campaign and the next person who announces that he’s about to step into the shower —what the heck is that about? Anyway, my point is, I appreciate everyone of you who has taken a stand, in whatever form you’ve chosen to take it.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Inc.’s national support of the TJMS indicates that our audience is not as easily pegged as members of mainstream media would portray it. When they round us up and label us black radio listeners, it gives people the idea that we will simply exchange one black thing for another. We all are guilty of giving ourselves sweeping labels that are easy to remember but don’t really tell the whole story. If you check out the views expressed by AKA International President Barbara A, McKenzie, she explains in an e-blast sent to the organization’s 225,000 members worldwide that African-Americans represent a wide spectrum of viewpoints and interests and can’t be lumped into one listening pool.
Thank you, AKAs, for stepping out there and showing so much love to not only the TJMS, but love for the belief that African-American listeners deserve to have choices, just as mainstream media does.
What if suddenly on mainstream media, the audience was told that they would have one television program, “The Tonight Show” with Jay Leno, and one radio show – Rush Limbaugh? Why would it be a problem? After all, aren’t Jay and Rush white men, and isn’t the audience they serve made up of mostly white people? Shouldn’t they be satisfied? Shouldn’t they feel represented? Shouldn’t they accept it? Absolutely not. Slowly but surely, though, black audiences are being stripped of their choices in the media, and we don’t have to accept it. The movement that is growing is less to do with saving our show and more to do with preserving our rights as consumers, as radio listeners and as Americans.
Keep forwarding, texting, emailing, calling, Tweeting — and yes, even faxing me. I want to hear and read your opinions so that “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” can keep super-serving the more than 115 radio markets where we are heard loud and proud — and on BlackAmericaWeb.com, as well. The beat continues and won’t be silenced. Not as long as we have each other.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30