Everyday we read about an outrageous thing a child or teenager has done, from having affairs with their teachers to hitting their parents with shovels when asked to remove snow from the driveway. It’s gotten so crazy that the regular stuff our kids do seem minor in comparison. But most of the time, we aren’t comparing what our kids do to the over-the-top antics of the children who make the headlines.
This morning, producer Erica Taylor wants to know what your kids have done to make you panic.
Every parent with teens knows what it feels like when they miss curfew, and every mother or father of young children has had to face the moment when they get lost at an amusement park, the mall or a grocery store. I don’t think you’re a real parent if you haven’t uttered the phrase, “If they’re alive, I’m going to kill them.” We love them so much that when they do things to put themselves in danger, we want do something that will assure us that they will never do it again.
Our thinking is that we have the power to protect our kids from danger, if only they would listen to us. But in reality, we can do everything in our power to make certain that our children know the rules and follow them – and things can still go terribly wrong. I started the week talking about accountability, so I may as well end it the same way. We spend a lot of time protecting, nurturing and educating what belongs to us and thinking that that’s enough to make the world better. But our children and teens don’t live in a protective bubble. At some point, they will run into someone who hasn’t been protected, nurtured or educated, and that’s a situation we cannot control.
So, instead of only being concerned about what we have and what we’re doing, we have to make sure that others who are less fortunate have a chance for a better life. As the economy worsens, so does our ability and sometimes even our desire to reach out. If you are giving less money to your church, a youth program, or your HBCU, remember that there other meaningful things you can contribute, like your time and talent. But whatever you do, give something back and teach your kids to do the same.
The world is smaller than we think, so it makes sense for us to make sure our neighbors — whether they live next door or on the other side of town — have a decent quality of life. Because even though your child may remember to buckle his seat belt, drive the speed limit, honor his curfew and respect his elders, it is becoming more and more likely that his world will collide with one of the thousands of young people out there with no attachments, no education, no hope and nothing to lose.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25