Everyday we read about an outrageous thing a child or teenager has done, from having affairs with their teachers to hitting their parents with shovels when asked to remove snow from the driveway. It’s gotten so crazy that the regular stuff our kids do seem minor in comparison. But most of the time, we aren’t comparing what our kids do to the over-the-top antics of the children who make the headlines.
This morning, producer Erica Taylor wants to know what your kids have done to make you panic.
Every parent with teens knows what it feels like when they miss curfew, and every mother or father of young children has had to face the moment when they get lost at an amusement park, the mall or a grocery store. I don’t think you’re a real parent if you haven’t uttered the phrase, “If they’re alive, I’m going to kill them.” We love them so much that when they do things to put themselves in danger, we want do something that will assure us that they will never do it again.
Our thinking is that we have the power to protect our kids from danger, if only they would listen to us. But in reality, we can do everything in our power to make certain that our children know the rules and follow them – and things can still go terribly wrong. I started the week talking about accountability, so I may as well end it the same way. We spend a lot of time protecting, nurturing and educating what belongs to us and thinking that that’s enough to make the world better. But our children and teens don’t live in a protective bubble. At some point, they will run into someone who hasn’t been protected, nurtured or educated, and that’s a situation we cannot control.
So, instead of only being concerned about what we have and what we’re doing, we have to make sure that others who are less fortunate have a chance for a better life. As the economy worsens, so does our ability and sometimes even our desire to reach out. If you are giving less money to your church, a youth program, or your HBCU, remember that there other meaningful things you can contribute, like your time and talent. But whatever you do, give something back and teach your kids to do the same.
The world is smaller than we think, so it makes sense for us to make sure our neighbors — whether they live next door or on the other side of town — have a decent quality of life. Because even though your child may remember to buckle his seat belt, drive the speed limit, honor his curfew and respect his elders, it is becoming more and more likely that his world will collide with one of the thousands of young people out there with no attachments, no education, no hope and nothing to lose.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30