Today for the first time in 20 years, neither my voice nor Sybil’s will be broadcast locally on a radio station in the city of Chicago. Even though I’ve broadcast for many years from our Dallas studios, it’s no secret that Chicago is the real mothership, the home, the flagship of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” and a city that we hold near and dear to our hearts.
I can’t tell you how many people today would argue you down if you tried to tell them I haven’t lived in Chicago for decades. I am and will always be linked to that great city, and I’m not mad at anybody for it. I proudly and boldly give the town that brought us Ebony and Jet, Michael Jordan, Garret’s Popcorn and the best pizza in the world its props.
My career didn’t actually begin in Chicago, but my career as the Hardest Working Man in Radio did. It was there that I gained national attention for having a morning show in Dallas then flying to Chicago to host the afternoon show and became known as the Fly Jock. Ironically, the legendary Chicago radio personality Richard Pegue, who died less than a month ago, gave me that name.
On today’s show, I’ll talk about some of my best memories in Chicago, the after-work sets I hosted, the days I was snowed in, Bishop Don Juan’s crush on the female members of our show and the list goes on and on … but I want to make it clear that this is not a swan song for us by any means. The party with a purpose continues in Chicago and everywhere else through BlackAmericaWeb.com, where our show can be heard each day. So, if you have family and friends in Chicago – and who doesn’t? – please remind them that they don’t have to miss a beat. Sybil, J. and I are still here and will be here for them and the African-American community the way we’ve always been.
After all, it was in Chicago, where I learned the value of identifying with my audience and super-serving them because they are our life blood, our connection, our hearts. My mentor, the late John H. Johnson, taught me years ago when I was D.J. on WJPC the importance of learning, loving and serving our audience because who can do it better than us? He said when you try to cross over, you cross out the people who made you what you are. I never forgot that lesson.
So, this morning actually marks a new beginning for “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” – an opportunity for us to step it up and find new and exciting ways to stay on top of our game when the rules are changing all the time. There are a lot of obstacles out there, but there always have been, and I will never use them as an excuse – only as motivation to do what we need to do. So, Chicago, we’ve never given up on you, and we know you won’t give up on us either. So, as we pay tribute to all you have meant and still mean to us, we wouldn’t dare say goodbye … simply “good morning!”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25