Today for the first time in 20 years, neither my voice nor Sybil’s will be broadcast locally on a radio station in the city of Chicago. Even though I’ve broadcast for many years from our Dallas studios, it’s no secret that Chicago is the real mothership, the home, the flagship of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” and a city that we hold near and dear to our hearts.
I can’t tell you how many people today would argue you down if you tried to tell them I haven’t lived in Chicago for decades. I am and will always be linked to that great city, and I’m not mad at anybody for it. I proudly and boldly give the town that brought us Ebony and Jet, Michael Jordan, Garret’s Popcorn and the best pizza in the world its props.
My career didn’t actually begin in Chicago, but my career as the Hardest Working Man in Radio did. It was there that I gained national attention for having a morning show in Dallas then flying to Chicago to host the afternoon show and became known as the Fly Jock. Ironically, the legendary Chicago radio personality Richard Pegue, who died less than a month ago, gave me that name.
On today’s show, I’ll talk about some of my best memories in Chicago, the after-work sets I hosted, the days I was snowed in, Bishop Don Juan’s crush on the female members of our show and the list goes on and on … but I want to make it clear that this is not a swan song for us by any means. The party with a purpose continues in Chicago and everywhere else through BlackAmericaWeb.com, where our show can be heard each day. So, if you have family and friends in Chicago – and who doesn’t? – please remind them that they don’t have to miss a beat. Sybil, J. and I are still here and will be here for them and the African-American community the way we’ve always been.
After all, it was in Chicago, where I learned the value of identifying with my audience and super-serving them because they are our life blood, our connection, our hearts. My mentor, the late John H. Johnson, taught me years ago when I was D.J. on WJPC the importance of learning, loving and serving our audience because who can do it better than us? He said when you try to cross over, you cross out the people who made you what you are. I never forgot that lesson.
So, this morning actually marks a new beginning for “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” – an opportunity for us to step it up and find new and exciting ways to stay on top of our game when the rules are changing all the time. There are a lot of obstacles out there, but there always have been, and I will never use them as an excuse – only as motivation to do what we need to do. So, Chicago, we’ve never given up on you, and we know you won’t give up on us either. So, as we pay tribute to all you have meant and still mean to us, we wouldn’t dare say goodbye … simply “good morning!”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25