WHO: Siedah Garrett.
HITS WE LOVE: “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You,” (with Michael Jackson), “Don’t Look Any Further” (with Dennis Edwards).
HOMETOWN: Los Angeles, California.
WHAT SHE’S UP TO NOW: Working on lyrics for an upcoming animated film with Sergio Mendes, writing for Lionel Richie and Ledisi, among others, and putting together a memoir which will include details of her touring with Michael Jackson, Madonna, Quincy Jones and others.
THE STORY: The L.A.-based singer/songwriter got her big break by meeting Quincy Jones. Since then, things have only gotten better for Garrett. She’s been the duet partner for both Michael Jackson and former Temptations singer Dennis Edward on two of their most memorable hits. She’s worked with a wide variety of artists and won a Grammy in 2008 for co-writing “Love You I Do” for Jennifer Hudson in “Dreamgirls.”
Garrett told SingersRoom.com that her success has been the byproduct of her ability to stay on top of what she does. “Learn your craft,” she told the site when asked what advice she’d give to those aspiring to follow in her platinum footsteps. “Know what a good song is. Know the formula for proper songwriting. Just listen and learn your craft. The second thing would be perseverance; perseverance is a must.”
That perseverance obviously paid off for Garrett. Her lengthy discography stretches back to 1984, and she’s had credits on albums from Quincy Jones to Pebbles to Donna Summer. Not only did she duet and tour with Jackson; she co-wrote “Man In the Mirror,” one of his signature hits. She’s also been both a singer and dancer on Madonna’s 2004 “Re-Invention” tour and has worked with her on other projects. Garrett joined the Brand New Heavies for one project – their 1998 “Shelter” release. She’s released two of her own projects “Kiss of Life” in 1998 and a self-titled 2003 release.
Of course, her relationship with Jackson came under scrutiny after his death, when the world media descended on her for any insight or gossip. Garrett’s best response was simply to head to the music they created together to pay tribute to her friend and collaborator. Check out her musical tribute to Jackson with the Agape church choir here.
For more information on Siedah Garrett, click here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25