WHO: Siedah Garrett.
HITS WE LOVE: “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You,” (with Michael Jackson), “Don’t Look Any Further” (with Dennis Edwards).
HOMETOWN: Los Angeles, California.
WHAT SHE’S UP TO NOW: Working on lyrics for an upcoming animated film with Sergio Mendes, writing for Lionel Richie and Ledisi, among others, and putting together a memoir which will include details of her touring with Michael Jackson, Madonna, Quincy Jones and others.
THE STORY: The L.A.-based singer/songwriter got her big break by meeting Quincy Jones. Since then, things have only gotten better for Garrett. She’s been the duet partner for both Michael Jackson and former Temptations singer Dennis Edward on two of their most memorable hits. She’s worked with a wide variety of artists and won a Grammy in 2008 for co-writing “Love You I Do” for Jennifer Hudson in “Dreamgirls.”
Garrett told SingersRoom.com that her success has been the byproduct of her ability to stay on top of what she does. “Learn your craft,” she told the site when asked what advice she’d give to those aspiring to follow in her platinum footsteps. “Know what a good song is. Know the formula for proper songwriting. Just listen and learn your craft. The second thing would be perseverance; perseverance is a must.”
That perseverance obviously paid off for Garrett. Her lengthy discography stretches back to 1984, and she’s had credits on albums from Quincy Jones to Pebbles to Donna Summer. Not only did she duet and tour with Jackson; she co-wrote “Man In the Mirror,” one of his signature hits. She’s also been both a singer and dancer on Madonna’s 2004 “Re-Invention” tour and has worked with her on other projects. Garrett joined the Brand New Heavies for one project – their 1998 “Shelter” release. She’s released two of her own projects “Kiss of Life” in 1998 and a self-titled 2003 release.
Of course, her relationship with Jackson came under scrutiny after his death, when the world media descended on her for any insight or gossip. Garrett’s best response was simply to head to the music they created together to pay tribute to her friend and collaborator. Check out her musical tribute to Jackson with the Agape church choir here.
For more information on Siedah Garrett, click here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30