Russell Simmons has reportedly abandoned the #NotMe crusade he attempted to launch in the face of multiple sexual assault allegations.
According to Page Six, the mogul’s reps said he has instead decided “that this is a time for women to speak.”
In November and December, the Def Jam co-founder was accused of various forms of sexual misconduct — including rape and attempted rape — by some 13 women.
Although he stepped down from his businesses, Simmons said on Instagram that he was committed to proving his innocence. On Dec. 14, he wrote, “Today, I begin to properly defend myself. I will prove without any doubt that I am innocent of all rape charges. Today, I will focus on ‘The Original Sin’ [referring to model Keri Claussen Khalighi, who accused him in the LA Times of rape], the claim that created this insane pile on of my #MeToo.” Simmons said that he would then address the claims by Jenny Lumet, the screenwriter who claimed that he sexually violated her.
Today, I begin to properly defend myself. I will prove without any doubt that I am innocent of all rape charges. Today, I will focus on “The Original Sin” (Keri Claussen), the claim that created this insane pile on of my #MeToo. Stay tuned! We’ll share information today… And tomorrow the case of Jenny Lumet. My intention is not to diminish the #MeToo movement in anyway, but instead hold my accusers accountable. #NotMe Again, this is not a movement against or even in conjunction with #Metoo . It’s just a statement about my innocence.
The same day, TMZ showed video of Simmons taking a lie-detector test regarding Khalighi’s accusation, which, his lawyers claimed, he “passed with flying colors” and that Simmons planned to submit to four more tests.
Page Six noticed that Simmons has posted on Instagram just three times since coming up with the hashtag, each time with an “inspirational” quote. He hasn’t used the hashtag since, and there have been no further attempts to prove his innocence in the press.
Asked about the silence, his reps told us that Simmons felt that it was “a time for women to speak,” adding, “Mr. Simmons’ previous statements stand, and he has nothing to add to [them] at this time.”
It was his #NotMe idea that prompted publicist and TV star Kelly Cutrone to tell Page Six last month that Simmons had tried to rape her in 1991. “The #NotMe thing? I’m going to do a #YeahYou. F*** you,” she told the column.
READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:
Celebs Who Have Been Accused of Sexual Assault
1. Darren Sharper1 of 19
2. Rosey Grier2 of 19
3. Ceelo Green3 of 19
4. Mike Tyson4 of 19
5. Alex Da Silva5 of 19
6. Britney Spears6 of 19
7. Sean Kingston7 of 19
8. Tupac Shakur8 of 19
9. Al Gore9 of 19
10. Harvey Weinstein10 of 19
11. Bill Cosby11 of 19
12. John Travolta12 of 19
13. Lawrence Taylor13 of 19
14. Kevin Spacey14 of 19
15. R. Kelly15 of 19
16. Russell Simmons16 of 19
17. Charlie Rose17 of 19
18. John Conyers18 of 19
19. Matt Lauer19 of 19
- U.S. Orders Extra Air Cargo Screening For Flights From Mideast
- Trump’s Policies Threaten To Reverse The Obama-Era’s Incarceration Rate Decline
- If Your School Was Closed Due To Snow, You Would Want Him As Your Principal
GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:
(Photo by Scott Roth/Invision/AP)