One Philadelphia teen had an extravagant prom night — including a camel and expensive cars — with the help of his mother, reports New York Daily News.

From the New York Daily News:

One Philadelphia teenager’s mom took his prom to the extreme, spending $25,000 on a camel, 3 tons of sand and exotic cars [including a Rolls Royce and a Lamborghini which were on loan for the special night.] He brought three dates, all in custom-made gowns, and wore three different outfits himself.

Saudia Shuler says she had thought of sending her only son, Johnny Eden Jr., to Dubai for a visit. Instead, she decided to bring Dubai to Philadelphia for the formal dance. [Neighbors were able to see the camel up close before Eden’s prom. The teen also had three dates and three different outfits for the memorable evening.]

Shuler celebrated her son with a huge prom send-off after suffering a stroke and battling cancer, reports NBC Philadelphia.

SOURCE: New York Daily NewsNBC Philadelphia

52 thoughts on “Philadelphia Mom Spends $25,000 On Son’s Prom

1. Stop hating it’s her son and her money. If I 25 G’s to waste I would do the same for my grands, my kids are to old. And he keep up his grades all A+. For 4 yes yes. Think about it if you have real money 25 G’s is nothing.

2. Call Me Creonta on said:

She can afford Dubai.
    My parents could afford Chucky Cheeses.
    She can buy him a Mercedes.
    My parents could afford a Chevrolet Celebrity.
    We you can do better, then you do.
    Don’t hold her to our broke levels.
    That’s what’s holding us back as a community.
    Broke mentality.
    Don’t hate.

3. deron williams on said:

hard time are sure to come. just because you have 25k to do whatever want doesn’t mean waste it on nonsense.
    what’s funny is the same people who saying that’s her money would be the same people talking about how stupid she is for not saving her money.
    at the end of the day no matter how much money you got to spend on something, we as black people need too learn how too save and invest your money.

4. Amber on said:

If she can afford it, I see no problem with it; now if she is struggling and paid this, then yes, there is a problem.

5. HATERS, sit down. Y’all had the money y’all do the same. Saudia is a beautiful person and wonderful mother. Her son is a great young man. If y’all had the money y’all would do the same. Stop judging ppl. That what wrong with ppl.

6. ASHA on said:

He is going to Delaware State University and his Mom owns her own business!! Soul Food restaurant. Her hard earned money! Why should we judge?!!

7. Oh how quick we are to judge. I wonder if his skin was not brown would brown people be so quick to talk about life insurance policies, college tuition etc…?

• Brnblesed on said:

What does the color of his skin have to do with anything? Always someone bringing race into every situation….stay on topic which your comment wasn’t anywhere near the subject

8. Nothing wrong if she has the money. Y’all pay more than that for those fine homes that you’re staying in and paying over 30,000.00 for those fine automobile that will depreciate and have automotive problems soon when you drive it off the lot.
    Most of your won’t even cut the AC or heat on during the summer and winter because you can’t afford to pay those high ass bills. Remember the higher the ceiling the higher the bill. LMAO

9. Meme on said:

If his mom has a terminal illness and he has been a good son she can and will move heaven and earth to create memories he’ll never forget. Clearly he is set!

10. Jamie on said:

The tweet at the bottom stated he got all A’s throughout school….she may be Rich….if he was white everyone would assume he was rich, because he is black everyone assume the lady is on food stamps ….lol…get your mind right people…y’all have killed the kid and have a gofundme already….lmbo

• macrama2003 on said:

I agree if she can afford it there is nothing wrong with what she did, I would not have done it but it’s not my money.

11. Whether this Mother have life insurance, a college fund established for her child/ren; whether she have money for food, clothes etc. Is of no concern to me. No place in this article did it say she solicited donations from anyone to make this happen for her son so why all the foul comments? If this proves to be a bad decision on her part, she (the Mom) will ave to deal with the consequences, NOT ANY OF US and I’m so clear and good with that for I have all or should I say more than I can handle on my plate. Practice reading such as this and keep it moving, it works❗

12. Lydia Bell on said:

Most people who are complaining are the ones who don’t have $25,000 to spend on a prom like me. And if I did would I? “Hell to the Nah!” as my girl Whitney would say (Bless her beautiful singing Soul) but…..Its not my money!

13. RENO2AC on said:

I would not care if she had Bill Gates, Michael Jordan, and Oprah’s money that is just wasteful. And, yes, it is HER money to do what she wants to do. However, she made it public. I’d rather have a new car than a camel and sand.

• Angea on said:

and why do you consider it wasteful? who knows she may have bought him a car too. Moments like these are memorable and never forgotten, as long as the son was happy and his mom found satisfaction in it then its all good.

14. James Henderson on said:

You all don’t know this woman or what she has, leave her alone she can spend her money anyway she chooses.

15. We don’t know if she is “ghetto”. We don’t know if she has life insurance. We don’t know if she can ‘afford’ it or not. We don’t know if his college education is paid for. We don’t know WHERE his father is from. What we DO know is that she had a life threatening health challenge. That he made straight A’s throughout school. And that his mother had $25,000 to spend on her son’s prom. Far be it for ANY of us to speculate on anything other than the facts presented in the article. Unless we know her personally, that’s all we have to go on. Would I have done it. No. But she did and I wish him well in all of his endeavors, and I pray she has long life and good health from now on.

16. Zerkeise on said:

1. Thank God for sparing her life.
    2. Thank God for giving her the ability to show her son appreciation for standing by her side in a dire situation.
    3. It is HER money.
    On that day, she truly LIVED.
    Even though you are not a celebrity….Your dreams can come true when you work hard enough.

17. Diane on said:

I’m glad no harm came to them. This day in age with all the jealousy ppl have in their heart, I’m glad no one shot em up over pure jealousy. Just sayin.

18. hoodtechie on said:

this is why we will always be behind white,asian and brown people in networth.i bet those businesses that she she purchased these items from are still laughing.

19. CC411 on said:

Hey maybe she’s just rich and sick at the same time. Wishing them all well, I just would have done something different.

20. I’m just guessing that since she wanted to send him on trip to Dubai (which is not cheap) his dad Sr. must be from there so therefore they/she has money to spend on her sons needs/wants. ijs….

21. This is really and extremely difficult to read and understand what mother would waste that type of money for a prom. Lord bless him and her as well!!!

22. I know it was her money and she had the right to spend it any way she wanted, however the stupidity level is extra on these purchases.

23. TwistedSister on said:

Mammies stay doing too much for their sons. What a stupid woman she is for this bs. Article said this is her only son. So, did she do all this for her daughters prom? Mammies are in stupid love with their “young kangz.”

24. Chastity on said:

This is so ridiculous!!! Why??? Just to “out-do” other people??? I do not understand why our people feel the need to spend money on stupid things. She should have put that money towards his education or in a trust for him when he gets older. Spending $25K on a prom or any date is ignorant. VERY IGNORANT is all I can say.

• Good job mom that is your son tell everyone to mind their own business I would do the same if I got money ok one thing for sure you can not take 28th you

25. Darryl on said:

Situation like this Doesnt surprise me…That she probably Doesn’t have a Drop of Life Insurance on her Son if any happens to Him..would have to setup a Go Fund account to Bury Him…My Black People…WAKE UP!!!

• Lucy on said:

My prayers are with her regarding her illness. I hope she is able to pay for his college education. I hope she has her affairs in order too financially so the family does not have to. Beg for money.i.e. insurance policies. I hope that if she has other children that they too will be financially secure.

26. This makes so sense we really need to re- focus our priorities and stop spending monies that we don’t have on things that give us no value. Maybe use it for college if he’s smart enough to get in college. I would have went to. I would love to see how they are living everyday.

27. stephanie Jones on said:

What a shame, waste of good money. She should have use it for his education, or invest in something worthwhile for him. Just Dumb

28. Gayle on said:

Moms battling some serious health issues and she probably receives some form of disability, which will be terminated upon this information going viral. I’m sure she has extra money to pay for her sons college tuition and what kind of car will he be driving to college or do they plan on using the camel. Why does he need three cars to go to the prom. Mom has her priorities in the wrong order. Yes I’m judging because she chose to make this information or the embellished money spent on a damn prom.

29. This mother should have used that 25K towards her sons college education.
    Just another example of being “Ghetto Fabulous.”!!!!!!