Suge Knight’s murder trial was delayed again Wednesday as his son, Suge Jacob Knight, blasted his father’s “extreme” jail restrictions.
You recall two years ago Knight was charged with murder and attempted murder following a fatal hit-and-run in Compton, California. He pled not guilty to all charges.
The founder of Death Row Records, who previously agreed to push his February trial date to May, bumped it again to early summer, NY Daily News reports. The publication notes that Knight, speaking in court with his parents, sister and son watching in the gallery, complained about the strict protective order that has him living in virtual isolation.
Among his list of complaints: limited phone access — he may only call his lawyer, and only his elderly parents can visit him.
“It’s extreme,” Knight’s 21-year-old son Suge Jacob Knight told the Daily News after the hearing. “They’re treating him like a mass murderer.”
Knight is accused of running over and killing 55-year-old Terry Carter. The last time father and son saw each other was two years ago, a week before the deadly parking lot confrontation.
“He almost died three times in jail,” the son said, referring to his dad’s blood clots and an emergency appendix surgery. “I’m worried about him.”
Knight’s son believes the protective order is hurting his dad’s ability to defend himself.
“Going in today and hearing my dad ask to be treated like a regular inmate, it actually hurt me. Why does he even have to ask for that?” he said. “I feel like it’s taking time away from his actual case.”
Knight is accused of intentionally running over two men in the parking lot of a Compton burger stand in January 2015, leaving Carter dead. Suge claims he was the victim of an armed ambush, but he turned himself in for questioning and has been behind bars ever since… unable to make his $10 million bail.
The reasoning behind the protective order limiting his jail privileges remains sealed.
(Photo Source: AP, Twitter)