Ruth Negga is the January 2017 cover model for Vogue Magazine. The Irish-Ethiopian actress is starring in Loving, a film directed by Jeff Nichols, about an interracial couple who desire to be married in 1958 Virginia. Loving is the first full-length film to be screened at the new National Museum of African American History and Culture.
Ruth delved to Vogue about growing up with interracial parents and losing her father at a young age. Ruth and her mother went to Ireland and was waiting for her father, but he died in Ethiopia in a car crash. She found out via a letter. “This was 1988. There wasn’t any grief counseling for kids.” Ruth admits to going to therapy in her early 30’s to deal with the loss of her father.
Ruth identifies as Irish-Ethiopian, adding, “I become very territorial about my identity because it’s been hijacked by so many people, with their own projections.” Deep and a struggle, many racially ambiguous women must address. Ruth explains, “I’m always very careful to say I’m Irish-Ethiopian because I feel Ethiopian and I look Ethiopian and I am Ethiopian. But there are 81 languages in Ethiopia, and I don’t know any of them.”
Born in Ethiopia, but growing up in both England and Ireland, she admits, “I didn’t have that many Black people in my life, so I had to sort of search them out.” While she didn’t grow up in America, she identified with the writings of Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, and James Baldwin regarding the Black experience.
Ruth looks fabulous on the cover of Vogue, wearing an Alexander Wang Resort 2017 cold shoulder floral crop top. This is refreshing to see that Vogue is starting the new year uplifting Black women and not sticking to the ‘typical’ celebrity covers. The cover was photographed by Mario Testino.
Loving came out in theaters November 4th, 2016.
You can read the entire interview, here.
SWIRLED: Our Favorite Black & White Celebs
1. Singer KeKe Wyatt's mother is white and her father is African-American.Source:Instagram 1 of 34
2. Alicia Keys has an Italian mom and an African- American dad. (PR)2 of 34
3. Actor Boris Kodjue's father is Ghanaian and his mother German. (PR)3 of 34
4. Athlete Lolo Jones birth mother is white and her dad is black. (PR)4 of 34
5. "Criminal Minds" actor has a white mom and a black dad. (PR)5 of 34
6. Rashida Jones, daughter of Quincy Jones, who is Black and mom, Peggy Lipton is White. (PR)6 of 34
7. Singer Lenny Kravitz has a Black mom and a Caucasian-Jewish father. (PR)7 of 34
8. Amber Rose has an Italian father and a Creole Mother. (PR)8 of 34
9. Drake's mother is Jewish-Canadian and his father is Black. (PR)9 of 34
10. Jordin Sparks is bi-racial too. (PR)10 of 34
11. J.Cole's mother is caucasian and his dad is African- American. (PR)11 of 34
12. Singer Mya's father is Italian and her mother is Black. (PR)12 of 34
13. NBA player Kris Humphries has a white mom and black dad. (PR)13 of 34
14. Actress Halle berry's mother is Causcasian and her father is Black. (PR)14 of 34
15. President Barack Obama has a Kenyan father and a Caucasian mother. (AP)15 of 34
16. Tracee Ellis Ross' mom is the the legendary Diana Ross and her dad is white. (PR)16 of 34
17. Derek Jeter has a black dad and white mother. (PR)17 of 34
18. Actor Wentworth Miller is half White and Black. (AP)18 of 34
19. Maya Rudolph has a black mother, Minnie Rippleton and a white father. (PR)19 of 34
20. Actress Lauren London has a Black mom and a Caucasian- Jewish father. (PR)20 of 34
21. Actor Vin Diesal is black and Italian but he has never met his biological father. (PR)21 of 34
22. Singer Leona Lewis has white mom and black dad. (PR)22 of 34
23. Melanie "Scary Spice" Brown's mother is white and her dad is black. (PR)23 of 34
24. Actor Jesse Williams has a Swedish mom and an African-American dad. (PR)24 of 34
25. Twins actresses Tia Mowry-Hardict and Tamara Mowry-Housley are Black and Italian. (PR)25 of 34
26. Faith Evans has a black mother and an italian father, but the singer chooses not to claim her white ancestry. (PR)26 of 34
27. Singer Craig David has a grenadian dad and white-british mom. (PR)27 of 34
28. Actress Tamara Taylor has a black father and a Scottish mother. (PR)28 of 34
29. The tall red-head Blake Griffin has a white mom and black dad. (PR)29 of 34
30. Michael Ealy (PR Photos)30 of 34
31. Colin Kaepernick father is African American and his mother White.31 of 34
32. Ballerina Misty Copeland's father is German American anad African American and her mother ins African American and Italian American. (PR Photos)32 of 34
33. Paula Patton's mother is white and her father is Black. (PR Photos)33 of 34
34. Jussie Smollett's father is Jewish and his mother is African American. (AP)34 of 34
‘Loving’ Star Ruth Negga Covers Vogue, Talks Being ‘Irish-Ethiopian’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com