Showtime has ordered a new half-hour comedy pilot from executive producer Jamie Foxx.
Titled “White Famous,” the pilot follows a talented, young African-American comedian whose career is blowing up, forcing him to navigate the treacherous waters of maintaining his street cred as he begins to cross-over to a mainstream audience.
Tom Kapinos (“Californication”) will pen the script for “White Famous,” which is based on an original idea by Foxx, notes The Hollywood Reporter.
“I came up from stand-up comedy, so to be able to share that aspect of my life on screen with a project like White Famous is incredibly exciting,” Foxx said. “We couldn’t have found better partners than Showtime, Lionsgate and Tom Kapinos to tell this story in the best possible way.”
Foxx would also have a recurring role should the series go to air. It would marks his return to the small screen after starring on Fox’s “In Living Color” and the then-WB Network series “The Jamie Foxx Show.”
“White Famous,” a co-production with Lionsgate Television, becomes the third pilot in the works at Showtime this season, joining drama “Dear White People,” from Common and Lena Waithe as well as a remake of U.K. mini “The Driver” starring “The Walking Dead” grad David Morrissey.
Making History: Top 10 Richest Black Actors
1. Tyler Perry - estimated worth $450M1 of 10
2. Bill Cosby - estimated worth $380MSource:AP 2 of 10
3. Will Smith - estimated worth $240MSource:AP 3 of 10
4. Samuel L. Jackson - estimated worth $170MSource:PR 4 of 10
5. Morgan Freeman - estimated worth $150MSource:AP 5 of 10
6. Denzel Washington - estimated worth $140MSource:PR 6 of 10
7. Ice Cube - estimated worth $140MSource:PRPhotos.com 7 of 10
8. Martin Lawrence - estimated worth $110MSource:PR 8 of 10
9. LL Cool J - estimated worth $100MSource:AP 9 of 10
10. Eddie Murphy - estimated worth $85MSource:AP 10 of 10
(Photo Source: PR Photos)