You know the deal: It’s 8pm on Sunday night, you are exhausted, and all you want to do is hop in the bed and watch some TV before drifting off into the best sleep ever. BUT as you walk pass the mirror you see your hair and it hits you like a ton of bricks. You are in dire need of a wash and style for the busy work week ahead.
Panic sets in because you know that a twist out is your favorite style to slay the masses, but you know it may not have enough time to thoroughly set and dry. What’s a natural hair girl to do? Don’t you fret ladies. It’s important to know how to style your twist out sets so that you can wear them out and about and not feel like you are giving Celie Color Purple realness.
We’ve all seen the funny memes of the many “natural hair problems,” like the struggles of wash day, detangling time, or when you get a text from bae to FaceTime right after you finish setting your twist-out. The perfect style takes preparation. The preparation behind the perfect twist out can take up a lot of your time that I know my busy beauties don’t have to spare. Ladies, you don’t have to live like a shut in while twist out dries. All you need to do is set the twist into their own cute style.
Of course, you have to start with freshly washed, conditioned, and detangled hair. Now think of how you want your twist out to look as well as what type of updo looks best on you. I am currently growing out my hair from a shaved sides haircut, so most of my hair is on the top of my head. Given this fact, it’s where most of my styled twist out will be. But for you beauties, the possibilities are endless. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
Twist in the direction you want your hair to fall
Remember this isn’t just a twisted hairstyle. You still want to take the twist out in a few days. If you set the twist in too many directions(especially if you have shorter hair) your hair will be sticking out in a bunch of different directions and that’s not the look we are going for.
Bobby pins are your best friend
Putting a bobby pin on the end of your twist not only prevents the twist from coming a loose, but it gives you something to anchor the twist into the hair with.
Use what you got to get what you want
There are so many types of hair, textures, lengths, and head shapes. You can’t get caught up in what everybody else is doing, you’ve got to do what works for you and your hair. Use the hair you’ve got to get the look you want.
There is no one right way to be natural!
Some of you may be tired of hearing me say that but I really need it to sink in. Far too often we as women, especially black women are so caught up in what everybody else thinks of us and our appearance that we don’t take the time to focus on what we want and like for ourselves. This is the sad truth about some of my natural beauties. You get caught up in these natural hair Instagram pages and various bloggers hair journeys and hairstyles trying to force your hair to be something it is not.
Do you, boo boo!
I’m not saying you can’t be motivated or inspired by someone else’s hair journey, but I am saying yours shouldn’t live in the shadow of theirs. An important part of being natural and being a part of the natural hair community is self-love, self-confidence, and not conforming yourself or your hair to follow or fit what others say or do. It’s called a hair journey for a reason, it is sure to have its ups and downs but as long as you stay true to you and what you love then you are on the right track.
Must-Have Products For Natural Hair!
1. Organics Olive Oil Leave-In Conditioner1 of 40
2. Wen Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner2 of 40
3. Carol's Daughter's Tui Hair Oil3 of 40
4. Shea Radiance Rich Hair Butter4 of 40
5. Shea Moisture Curling Smoothie5 of 40
6. Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding6 of 40
7. Coconut Oil7 of 40
8. Jamaican Castor Oil8 of 40
9. Profectiv Mega Growth Daily Leave-In Strengthener9 of 40
10. Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner10 of 40
11. Quidad Heat & Humidity Gel11 of 40
12. Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion12 of 40
13. Naturalista Cosmetics Juice Leave-In13 of 40
14. Natural Roxx Moisturizing Hair Spritz14 of 40
15. Moroccan Oil Restorative Hair Mask15 of 40
16. Moroccan Oil Treatment16 of 40
17. Mizani True Textures Curl Set17 of 40
18. Miss Jessie's Quick Curls18 of 40
19. Carol's Daughter Maguerites Magic19 of 40
20. Miss Jessie's Pillow Soft Curls20 of 40
21. Koils By Nature Shealoe Leave-In Conditioner21 of 40
22. Kinky Curly Knot Today22 of 40
23. Karen's Body Beautiful Restorative Treatment23 of 40
24. Jane Carter Nourish & Shine24 of 40
25. Carol's Daughter Healthy Butter25 of 40
26. Hair Rules Volumizing Hair Spray26 of 40
27. Global Goddess27 of 40
28. Eden Body Works Jojoba Monoi Moisturizing Shampoo28 of 40
29. Eden Body Works All-Natural Hair Milk29 of 40
30. Dr. Miracles Edge Holding Gel30 of 40
31. Dr. Miracles Acai Thermal Heat Protectant31 of 40
32. Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner32 of 40
33. Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Coil Moisturizing-Souffle33 of 40
34. Curl Junkie Honey Butta Leave-In Conditioner34 of 40
35. Coconut Milk Shine Hold Mist35 of 40
36. Carol's Daughter Monoi Collection36 of 40
37. Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner37 of 40
38. Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner38 of 40
39. BelleButters Unyevu Butter39 of 40
40. Anita Grant Hair Oils40 of 40
Twist Out Secrets Revealed: These Tips Will Ensure A Perfect Twist-Out was originally published on hellobeautiful.com