Divorce inevitably becomes messy when a lot of money is involved. And unfortunately, Afeni Shakur, is seeing this first hand.
The former Black Panther Party member and mother to late rapper Tupac Shakur, filed for divorce from her estranged husband, Gust Davis in a North Carolina court. The pair had no pre-nup, were married for 12 years, and have been living apart for a year.
Afeni was born in Lumberton, NC but moved to New York City at the age of ten. She went on to join the movement as a teenager and become a notable social activist— most famous for defending herself in the 1971 Panther 21 trial.
According to TMZ, what’s tricky about the divorce is North Carolina’s laws regarding settlement.
TMZ notes that Afeni filed in North Carolina, where judges are not required to divide property 50/50, but rather on a case-by-case basis to determine what’s fair. The couple has property and Davis wants, in addition to living on their 50 acre North Carolina ranch and their houseboats. Davis, who’s a minister, also wants to keep his Jaguar luxury car.
What’s interesting is that Tupac’s estate, which is owned by Afeni, takes in around $900k a year but after expenses she receives around $20k a month. Davis, who never met her multitalented son, wants $10k a month of this money for the rest of his life.
If this all has you feeling some type of way, it should.
It’s one thing when employed men ask for spousal support.. and it’s another (layer of wackness) when the support comes from a deceased child they had no relation to. But sadly, this is what happens when a prenuptial agreement isn’t made.
Afeni has filed legal documents asking the judge to shut down Davis’ greedy alimony request.
Hopefully the outcome will lean in the right person’s favor.
We Tried To Make It Work: Divorced Celebs
1. Mike Epps1 of 13
2. Tamar Braxton & Vincent filed for divorce2 of 13
3. Janet Jackson has been divorced...twice.3 of 13
4. Lisa Bonet and Lenny Kravitz were once husband and wife.4 of 13
5. Jill Scott5 of 13
6. Gina Torres & Laurence Fishburne were officially divorced in October of 20176 of 13
7. Tisha Campbell Martin & Duane Martin7 of 13
8. Stephen Belafonte & Melanie Brown8 of 13
9. Stephen Belafonte & Melanie Brown9 of 13
10. Mary J. Blige & Kendu Isaacs10 of 13
11. Mary J. Blige & Kendu Isaacs11 of 13
12. Usher & Grace Miguel12 of 13
13. Usher & Grace Miguel13 of 13
Afeni Shakur’s Estranged Husband Wants Tupac’s Money was originally published on hellobeautiful.com