Bill Cosby has been edited out of an upcoming documentary called, “Painted Down,” which explores Hollywood’s dirty little secret of white stuntmen applying blackface to double for black actors.

The Black Stuntmen’s Association has also removed from its website a lengthy tribute to Cosby, who was the first actor to demand that his stunt double be an actual black man.

“Cosby is no longer attached to the project,” said the film’s producer, Nonie Robinson, according to Deadline.com. “We were the last project standing behind him, but now with Whoopi (Goldberg) and CAA pulling the plug, we must also disassociate and cut all ties with Cosby. It’s the right thing to do in light of the recent court deposition being made public.”

In November, when the controversy was in its early stages, Robinson told Deadline that Cosby’s interview would not be cut from “Painted Down.”

Cosby, who has been accused of drugging and raping dozens of women decades ago, was dropped by CAA late last year, long before revelations surfaced in a deposition in which he admitted to having obtained Quaaludes with the intent of giving them to young women he wanted to have sex with. “The View” co-host Goldberg, who had been standing behind Cosby’s until proven guilty and also appears in “Painted Down,” last week changed her tune, saying that “all of the information that’s out there kind of points to guilt.”

In his interview for the documentary, Cosby described his irritation as he watched dark black makeup being applied to a white stuntman so that he could double for Cosby on the 1960s TV series “I Spy.”

“The day of the shooting, I showed up for that scene to see it,” he said in the interview. “I had no knowledge that there are no black stuntmen. I went over, and there was this white stuntman. … I looked at him and the lady is putting black – not a deep brown — she’s putting black around this guy, eyes and everything. So I’m … staring at this, and then they pulled his sleeve up and they put the black stuff all over his hands and all, and that too looked kind of funny. It was just black. Black, black, black — black on the neck. Then they pulled out this wig. Looks like they scalped a sheep and dyed it.”

Cosby objected, and the next day a black stuntman was hired to double for him. It was the first time a star ever had spoken out against the practice, and it helped launch the Black Stuntmen’s Association and the careers of many black stuntmen and women.

“He did a hell of a lot for black stuntmen,” said BSA president Willie Smith, who had a lengthy tribute to Cosby removed from the organization’s website recently. “If it hadn’t been for Cosby, I don’t think there would have been a Black Stuntmen’s Association. It’s not that we’re turning our backs on him, but the controversy is getting too much to deal with.”

The tribute had been on the website for years – long before Cosby became toxic. “Bill Cosby has been on television for so long, usually in rather silly sitcoms or commercials for Jello, it’s easy to forget that he used to be funny – and hip,” the tribute stated.

Founded in 1967 and honored with an NAACP Image Award for integrating the stunt industry, the BSA has decided, however, not to sanitize Cosby’s history with the organization. “Bill Cosby was the first established actor to break the glass ceiling by hiring black stuntmen for black actors when he starred on the television series I Spy,” its website still states. “This one act changed the common practice of using ‘paint down,’ forever changing the landscape of the motion picture and television industry.”

Famous Folks Who Got Fired From Their Jobs

(Photo Source: AP)

22 thoughts on “Bill Cosby Cut from Film About Black Stuntmen: ‘We Were the Last Project Standing Behind Him’

1. Despite the insane and vicious attacks by the racist and sexist(misandrist and misogynist) mass media, Dr. Cosby remains one of the greatest civil rights leaders, educators and entertainers in world history. He has admitted to no crimes and nobody has presented the slightest evidence that he has committed any crimes against anyone. On the contrary, there is tremendous evidence that Dr. Cosby has been selected and targeted for this mass media lynching precisely because he has been a role model for all men and women for the last 55 years. That makes him the uppityest Black man in America and that is why this madness is happening.

2. yaeger on said:

There is much to learn from this experience for me, that I kind of learned when I was a toddler What you see on television does not make it truth. Which person I place on a pedestal, I better make room for myself. Do not judge others in away, that you to would not want to be judged by. There are many lessons in forgiveness. Remember the forgiveness is not for the ones who abused you, but the forgiveness is for you. As a child I was abused so badly physically, and mentally that it was suggested that I be placed in a mental institution for the duration of my life. The reason for the suggestion was I had been beaten so badly, and burned with cigarettes all over by body that it was too much for my brain to take in. However, God had another plan for me, which I am extending to all the nay sayers, all those persons who want to have an opinion about this and that, and to all the people who abused me, with such wickeness, and to all of you, who dare to form an opinion when you have not experienced an abuse. I ask all of the former victims who are not looking for a payout, I ask for all the former victims who are not looking for their 15 minutes of fame. I am asking for all the former victims who are not looking for the abusers validation as to when you will start the process to forgive.
    I am asking for the former victims of abuse to rise up with me in unity, and say with me, I forgive Mr. Cosby, I forgive myself. I forgive all those persons I have pulled into my life with my victim stories. I forgive the Bill Cosby and others like him, for showing me, that playing a victim is a choice, one that I choose to not carry on my back anymore. I used to be a diamond in the rough, but I am now with a lot of work, a diamond that sparkles so much, that if you look at it a certain way, it may blind you, but still a diamond. I had to go through all the roughness of my existence, to make to to where I am today. So I say it out right, I have earned my seat today, to be where I stand, and or sit. And any of you who dare tell me or make and vial remarks that I have not earned to comment on this, I forgive you. I forgive Bill Cosby and others. I could not have made it to where I am, without you Bills Cosby and others like you.

3. Cosby, is a whore, and a loser. Like Lisa Bonet said ” Nothing stays in the dark 4 ever” Any woman who knowing takes up with a married man, lacks self esteem, self respect, and has no class, end of story.

• If I had ever met the two timing bastard, I would’ve turned him down. I have self esteem, self respect, and to much class to get involve with a lying, cheating married man.

• specialt757 on said:

So what you’re saying is those women have no-class, low self-esteem, and no self-respect? Yep I see it that way also.

4. If it wasn’t for courageous people like Harriet Tubman, and others like her who risked their lives so that slaves could be free, BC wouldn’t be the billionaire he is today, as a matter of fact we would all still be working on the plantations from sun up, to sun down. Blacks need to look up to real heroes and not these Hollywood hypocrites.

5. Does Mr. Cosby have true any friends or associates left? I think that he crossed the line with SOME of these woman but that is not going to stop me from watching his re-runs, hopefully the reruns will still air. People go to jail for murder and get a better break than this.

6. I said it. on said:

If it wasn’t for Bill, these sell its would not have had careers worth anything. We always have to take up every other groups issues instead of focusing on our own people. Until we unify, we’ll still have issues. These women finally realized they were up in age, worn out, and that no one else would pay for it. Whores don’t have 401k plans. Someone should have told them. Black people wake up, wise up, and rise up. Bill is one if the best things that had happened for Black’s.

7. At this point lets just wish the women and Bill the best, settle the legitimate claims and move on. I think most people are tired of hearing about his sex life in the 70’s.

8. God is the reason for my existence, this is exactly what happens when people make idols out of ordinary people. I enjoyed Cosby’s work just like millions of other people, but I have never worshiped Cosby, or any other celebrity for that matter.

9. BC, used the same white media to put down his own race, now we find out he’s no better, as a matter of fact he’s worst. That hypocrite screwed anything that moved, that man has probably slept with more women than Wilt Chamberlain, at least WC, had to good sense not to get married

• specialt757 on said:

“That hypocrite screwed anything that moved” What about you, did he screw you? Or are you not light enough? What is your deal cristal6, why so much heated hate-filled passion for Dr. Cosby? Is there something you want us to know? If God is the reason for your existence you may want to have a little talk with him about tolerance and moving on with your life, if not HIM, maybe a therapist.

10. I made a statement that was removed from this post. I am going to repeat it. THIS IS SOME BULL CRAP THAT THE BLACK STUNTMENS ASSOCIATION IS PULLING TO REMOVE THE NAME AND STORY OF THE TRUE FOUNDER OF YOUR EXISTENCE BECAUSE OF MEDIA PRESSURE. BILL COSBY IS THE REASON FOR YOUR EXISTENCE AND TO REMOVE THAT FACT IS TO IGNORE HIS POSITIVE FIGHT FOR THE BLACK CAUSE. HIS SEX ISSUES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS NOTABLE ENTERTAINMENT ACHIEVEMENTS. YOU DUMB ASS NEGROES CAN’T SEE THAT THIS NOT JUST AN ATTACK ON BILL COSBY, IT IS AN ATTACK ON ALL BLACK PEOPLE. THIS IS A SUBLIMINAL ASSAULT ON THE CHARACTER OF THE BLACK MAN IN GENERAL. THIS BROTHER ENTERTAINED US FOR YEARS, EDUCATED AND PROMOTED THOUSANDS OF CAUSES. HE HELPED OPEN DOORS OF OPPORTUNITY TO ALLOW US TO GET IN. NOW YOU WANT TO TURN YOUR BACK ON HIM BECAUSE SOME YESTERYEAR ENTERTAINERS WANT TO EARN SOME SHAME FAME MONEY BY BEING VICTIMS AND GETTING PAID TO DO INTERVIEWS TEARING DOWN THE CHARACTER OF ONE OF OUR LEADERS IN THE ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS? YOU WANT TO GET PAID AND SEE YOUR NAME IN LIGHTS ONE MORE TIME. YOU DESPERADOS. WHY DID YOU WAIT THIRTY YEARS TO ATTACK A MAN WHO VIOLATED YOU? WHY? IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. I ONLY SEE YOU REACHING FOR FINANCIAL AND CELEBRITY SHAME FAME. YOU LOST YOUR ABILITIES TO EARN IT THE RIGHT WAY, SO YOU RATHER CLAIM YOURSELF A VICTIM, PLAY ON PEOPLE’S EMOTIONS AND GO FOR THE BIG BUCKS AGAINST A LEGEND IN THE BUSINESS. AND THE NEWS MEDIA CAN ASSASSINATE THE CHARACTER OF A LEGENDARY BLACK MAN. WHILE ATTACKING OUR LOVE FOR HIM AND HIS ACHIEVEMENTS IN THE INDUSTRY. HIS SEX ISSUES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS ENTERTAINMENT ACHIEVEMENTS PERIOD. ADD HIM BACK TO THE DOCUMENTARY AND STOP BEING A IF YOU KISS ASS I WILL TOO BLACK MAN. I AM TIRED OF THE RACIST BIAS NEWS MEDIA HOLDING TRIAL IN THE PRESS AGAINST BLACK PEOPLE AND YOU DUMB MUTHA FUKKERS EATING IT UP. YOU ARE FOLLOWING THE DRUMS OF THE WRONG DRUM MAJOR. GET SMART AND RECOGNIZE!!!!!! PS: IF YOU DON’T ADD HIM BACK, I WILL NOT WATCH YOUR SHOW AND WILL PETITION OTHERS THAT FEEL LIKE I DO TO BOYCOTT YOUR DOCUMENTARY. WE BLACK POSITIVE AND INTELLIGENT PEOPLE WHO CAN SEE THROUGH THE SMOKE ARE GOING TO START FIGHTING BACK AGAINST THE RACISM IN JOURNALISM. WE ARE GOING TO BRING ALL RACIST MEDIA OUTLETS TO THEIR KNEES. THE POWER OF BOYCOTTING IS GOING TO GET REAL FUNKY. I AM GOING TO ENSURE IT. THE ABILITY TO DO WITHOUT IS A NATURAL THING WITH US. WE WILL DO WITHOUT SPENDING. WE WILL DO WITH OUT BANKING, WE WILL DO WITH OUT CONTRIBUTIONS, WE WILL DO WITHOUT WATCHING,WE WILL DO WITHOUT SPORTS, WE WILL DO WITH OUT SHOPPING. WE CAN AND WILL DO THIS TO THOSE THAT ATTACK US. TMZ, FOX, THE WASHINGTON POST AND ANY OTHER WE IDENTIFY. WE WILL SHOW YOU WHAT WE MEAN. WHEN WE BOYCOTT YOU AND YOUR SPONSORS. STOP ATTACKING OUR CHARACTER.

11. That low life never paid a dark chocolate woman’s bills/mortgage, all the women he kept were white, and the ones he drugged and raped were white or biracial.

12. MD Vet Mom on said:

A friend said yesterday “OMG did you see what Arian Foster’s wife looked like who he cheated on? Did you see what the FB player’s mistress looked like who killed herself and wife? Remember what the Ravens QBs mistress looked like who murdered them? Look at Torrey Smith’s wife, Steph Curry’s wife etc.? Look at the women Bill Cosby cheated with? ALL THESE WOMEN LOOK ALIKE? Why do RICH black men worship white, Hispanic and light skinned women????” What is going on…..I have no sympathy for these men or idiot female groupies like Evelyn Lozada

• specialt757 on said:

Exactly what part do you agree with? She said nothing about what you are saying.

• specialt757 on said:

Oh and by the way, you call Whoopi stupid because she doesn’t agree with your views. Why can’t she have her own thoughts? And what do you call the women who went back to Dr. Cosby for more, time and time again? Hungry? Thirsty? Or smart?