Albert Lionel Joyner was born February 3, 1946 in Tuskegee Institute, Alabama, to Frances and Hercules Joyner passed away in Jackson, Mississippi on June 3, 2015.  Albert’s early childhood education was completed on the campus of Tuskegee Institute for pre-K, nursery school, elementary school, and high school.  In high school, Joyner was class president his senior year and most valuable player in the state championship basketball team. He graduated from Tuskegee Institute in 1969 with a bachelor’s of science degree in physical education with a minor in physical science.   While in college he became a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. and later turned that support into a life membership.

A 43 year veteran of the McDonald’s restaurant system, in 1972 Joyner became the first Black franchisee of a major fast food chain in Alabama. Known for his frankness and wit, the Tuskegee Institute graduate and Alabama native expanded his McDonald’s holdings to several McDonald’s restaurants in the Jackson Mississippi market.

A pioneer in many ways, he was among the first McDonald’s owner-operators to have a Play land in his restaurant, and he developed and opened the first face-to-face drive-thru in the McDonald’s system.  He was the first Black McDonald’s owner-operator in the Mobile and Birmingham area and is considered the first African-American to purchase and develop a major shopping center in the state.

On October 20, 1978 he married the former Danita Ely of Mobile, Ala., who became his business partner in McDonald’s restaurants and is a McDonald’s franchisee.

He is a past president of the McDonald’s Great Southern Region Black McDonald’s Operators Association.  Al was a former member of the Board of Trustees of: The Tom Joyner Foundation and Tuskegee University.  A member of the Jackson Country Club, Century Club Charities, The Robert Morgan Society, Jackson State University Tiger Fund, Butler Chapel AME, Tuskegee, Alabama, the Greater Jackson Partnership and other business organizations.  In 1980, Al joined the Mobile Area Mardi Gras Association where he was always the life of the party on the annual Joe Cain Sunday boat ride.  Al was instrumental in establishing a charter for First Tee of Jackson, a group to share their interest and love of golf with children. In the fall of 1965, Albert Joyner was initiated into The Lambda Epsilon Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Incorporated.  He is a life member of The Sigma Phi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Montgomery, Alabama. Through his wife Danita, Al was a connecting Link to The LeFleur’s Bluff (MS) Chapter of The Links, Inc.

Albert was a fervent family man and is survived by his wife, Danita, and four children – Michael, Allison, Danielle and Albert Jr.  He is also survived by his brother, Thomas Joyner, Sr., and nephews Thomas Joyner, Jr (LaToy) and Oscar Joyner (Alem) all of Dallas, Texas.  Two aunts Martha Mansker and Helen Cochran both of Gary, Indiana.  Mother-in-law, Ethel Moore, Step Father-In-Law, Richard Moore, Brother-In-Law, Rayford Crook (Elaine), two Sisters-In-Law, Charlotte Morrissette, (Wilton) of Mobile,  Alabama, Monica Means, (Robert) of Huntsville, Alabama, many nieces, nephews and extended family members.

Albert L. Joyner’s Funeral Arrangements for Jackson, Mississippi will be held on

Monday, June 8, 2015 at 11:00 a.m.

Omega Service at 9:30a.m.

Anderson United Methodist Church

6205 Hanging Moss Road

Jackson, MS  39206

Funeral Arrangements for Tuskegee, Alabama will be held on

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 1:00p.m.

Omega Service at 12:00 p.m.

Tuskegee University Chapel

1200 West Montgomery Road

Tuskegee, Alabama

*Family requests in lieu of flowers please make a donation to the Al Joyner Memorial Scholarship Fund, benefiting students at Tuskegee University, his alma mater.

Donations can be made online here

Or mail donations to

Tom Joyner Foundation

c/o Al Joyner Memorial Scholarship Fund

13760 Noel Road, Suite 750

Dallas, Texas  75240

Remembering Albert “Al” Joyner

(photos courtesy of the Joyner family)

29 thoughts on “Albert Joyner’s Life to be Celebrated in Mississippi and Alabama

1. Abby Boyd on said:

Tom Joyner,
    We love u here in Dallas, still listening online. We are prayin for your heart to be healed. Nothing but time can heal your head & heart. Memories of your brother, stay strong. I have been followin u, the TJMS show for 30 years now. I am still in Love with you Tom. God Bless u and Your Family. Chicago to Dallas.
    Abby

2. Virginia Chase on said:

Tom and Family,
    As a Jacksonian, I’ve witnessed first hand the great businesspeople, entrpeneur(s) your brother and sister in law have been to our city! Praise God for their spirit and the many opportunities our youth have experienced because of them!! Thank God for the values and morals they have passed on to the next generation…You are all in my prayers for now and forever more..#RIH #AlJoyner #GoodandFaithfulServant

3. Vicenta Robinson on said:

Condolences go out to the Joyner family for your loss. I have been a TJMS fan for as long as I can remember; they have been a part of my family. May God continue to be with you all during this time.

4. Renee on said:

My condolences to the Joyner family. What a great legacy Mr. Albert Joyner left. May God continue to bless the family. I pray that when Mr. Joyner met the Lord He said well done.

5. Rita Jay on said:

I am so sorry for your loss…as I have personally lost way too many loved ones in my 40+yrs for various reasons it doesn’t get any less hurtful.
    As you venture on in life you get to understand this phrase my deceased aunt and I said to each other in her last days, “we are all here to live and to die”!
    May God bless and keep your family….

6. Leonette Mays on said:

My heartfelt condolences for your loss. May God keep you and your family in his arms. My prayers are with you now and always.

7. Paulette, Satsuma, AL on said:

My family and I extend our deepest sympathy to the Joyner Family. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

8. Linda on said:

In some of the pics, Tom & Albert look like twins. Mr. Albert has a beautiful family and my sincere condolences to all who will miss this great man.

9. Linda on said:

My sympathy to the Joyner family, I pray God’s comfort, grace & mercy be with your family in your loss during this bereavement.

10. Dr.Johnelle L. Sherald on said:

Tom Joyner and the Joyner family,

I’m sorry for your loss. Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Keep looking up.

11. Robert on said:

God Bless Mr. Joyner. Myself and my wife would like to send our condolences to you and the Joyner family. Our prayers are with you.

12. milton fuller on said:

From family to family. My condolences to yours when one member leaves another one is received.
    God Bless.

13. Joe Jackson on said:

Please receive our most sincere condolences concerning your loss of Mr. Albert Joyner.We are praying, asking the Lord to comfort and keep the Joyner family.

14. Lara Draper on said:

just as Vincent answered I am shocked that a person can earn $8557 in 1 month on the internet .

blog link /………….. WAGE-REPORT.­Ⅽ­O­Ⅿ

15. Linda on said:

Tom:

Please accept my condolences on your loss. It it was not publicized, one would never know you are suffering a loss. Earth has no sorrow, that Heaven cannot heal. Be blessed.