Albert Joyner, one of the nation’s most successful owners of McDonald’s franchises and philanthropist, passed away in Jackson, Mississippi on Wednesday June 3, 2015. He was 69.

Joyner was a fervent family man and is survived by his wife, Danita, and four children – Michael, Allison, Danielle and Albert Jr.  He is also survived by his brother, Tom, and nephews Thomas Joyner, Jr. and Oscar Joyner.

Albert shared his brother, syndicated radio personality Tom Joyner’s, passion for education and served as an active board member of the Tom Joyner Foundation.

Known for his dry wit and keen business acumen, he bought his first McDonald’s franchise in Mobile, Alabama.  With the success of this first restaurant, he formed My Joy, Inc. and went on to own numerous franchises in Birmingham and Jackson, Mississippi.  Mack Wilbourn, one of the first minority McDonald’s franchises in the Southeast, as well as Joyner’s mentor and friend, has said that one of his greatest accomplishments was mentoring Albert Joyner.

Always with an eye to make something happen – Albert collaborated with his brother to break the regional record for the most cars served in a McDonald’s drive-through in an hour at one of his Jackson Mississippi locations.  At the end of the hour, 419 cars had been served, breaking the previous record of 288 at a Baton Rouge McDonald’s.

Born in Tuskegee, Alabama, Albert Joyner attended Tuskegee Institute High School and graduated from the famed Tuskegee University (née Institute), majoring in physical education.

In lieu of flowers, click here to make a donation to the Al Joyner Memorial Scholarship Fund, benefiting students at Tuskegee University, his alma mater.

(Photo Source: Courtesy of the Joyner Family)

145 thoughts on “Remembering Albert Joyner

1. My deepest sympathy to you Tom Joyner and family. This is a hard pill to swallow, but with family and friends it will be much easier in time. May God give you the strength to endure this time of sorrow.

2. Juanita Harley on said:

Tom I didn’t know your brother except through conversations via the morning show. He will be missed but he leaves a great legacy. My prayers go out to you and the family. Peace too you.

3. May the Lord comfort you, and your family on the lost of your brother Mr. Al joyner. I remember visiting McDonald, we would walk from Toulminville high school to get something to eat after school he was a really nice person.

4. LaTanga Thompson on said:

Sorry for your loss Tom Joyner of your brother my prayer are with you and your family. May God give y’all the strength you need, stay strong and keep the faith.

5. Valarie Johnson-Ransom on said:

SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS .I worked for Al Joyner at his First franchise in Mobile Ala.I have fond memories of Al.His most favorite line IF YOU CAN LEAN U CAN CLEAN!He kept us motivated.I was 16 years old at the time.now Im 57 ‘He will b greatly missed.Stay strong Tom Joyner.

6. I am shocked and saddened by the loss of your brother. I had the opportunity to meet Al and found him to be a charming and funny man. I lost my sister 5 years ago and am still saddened by the fact she is no longer with us . . . time does allow you to be comforted by their memory. RIP Al!

7. Adrienne Phillips on said:

So sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. My deepest condolences are with Tom Joyner and the entire Joyner family.

8. Ouida Moore-Cain on said:

To the Joyner Family, I share in your loss as I am a Proud Tuskegee Tiger as well as a Marching Tiger under the direction of Mr. Duncan and Mr. “Blue” Gibbs. I pray for your strength to bear this weight you carry. May the God of Peace bring you to the Peace of God… Praying a continual prayer for your family and may God have mercy on Mr. Albert Joyner’s soul!

9. My thought and prayers are with family. I had the pleasure of working with Al when he was an O/O in the Atlanta Regional Division I worked with the consultants and O/Os. He was always a cool guy. He will be missed.

10. Carolyn Andrews on said:

Tom…so sorry to hear about the passing of your brother. My condolences to you and the family. God bless!

11. Vivian Carter on said:

Tom ,I am sorry to hear of your loss. A sibling as close as the two of you were. I share your pain like family . Be blessed.

12. KayMoore on said:

Just lost my brother 2 months ago. The lost is still hard to handle. I will pray for your family. My deepest sympathies, God Bless.

13. Barbara Bonner on said:

May the Lord bless and keep you in comfort during this time. With sincere. Sympathy!!
    RIP.
    Barbara Bonner family

14. Fred McBride on said:

as Michelle responded I am stunned that some people can profit $9743 in 4 weeks on the computer . website here …. .. TIMES-REPORT.­Ⅽ­O­Ⅿ

15. G Dixon on said:

May God give you strength and may precious memories comfort and sustain you from this day forward and forevermore.

16. Vanessa Lewis on said:

I’m so truly sorry for the loss of your brother. My heart is so heavy. He was such a big part of the show; part of our TJMS family. May you find strength and comfort in knowing how much Al was loved by so many people and how many lives he changed by his love and generosity. My deepest thoughts and prayers to your family.

17. Deborah Friday on said:

Sorry for your loss. May God keep your family strong. GOD is a way maker with his love and peace. Gid Bless the Hoyner family.

18. Sandra Brewer on said:

Tom – I send my deepest condolences to you and the Joyner family. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. God Bless You.

19. cindy taylor on said:

Sending my condolences to Tom Joyner and family 👪 on the passing of his brother Albert Joyner May he Rest in Paradise

20. Tanya Jackson on said:

I am sending my condolence to Tom Joyner and family on the passing of his brother, Albert Joyner.
    His memories will always in your heart and mind. He is know resting in a good place with no more pain. His will be miss, but never forgotten. RIP Mr. Albert Joyner.

21. Stanley and Aleathea LeSueuer on said:

Our prayers and condolences to the family of Albert Joyner, Sr., and to Tom we say stay strong.

22. Joy2 on said:

Tom my thoughts are with you, Your brother had such a success story. Please know that we in the community LOVE YOU FOR YOU, and what you CONSTANTLY do in the community.. Giving laughter every weekday morning, and giving of your time, and $$$. LOTS OF ROSES, AND LOVE go out to you as you go thru life’s journey

23. Trina Kinney Moss on said:

Danita, may the Peace of God envelope each of you. My sincere condolences to you, your children and family. Albert was a kind man with a big heart.
    Blessings, Trina Moss (formerly Banks)
    Nashville, TN

24. gloria on said:

There are no words that will truly console you
    but GOD’s love will forever enfold you.
    I would like to offer my sympathy and pray
    For I know the burden you bear.
    Blessings