On March 26, three Missouri police agencies agreed to lessen their use of tear gas after lawsuits alleged that the chemical was used excessively during the Ferguson protests back in November. Better now that never.
The three suits were ultimately dismissed by U.S. District Judge Carol Jackson but according to Reuters, will “retain jurisdiction through 2017″ to ensure the agencies comply to the reformed usage of tear gas. One major agreement includes that police give fair and verbal warnings and a sensible amount of time to vacate, for protestors and demonstrators. This should be especially exercised during “non-criminal activity.” The agencies will also pay $2,500 in legal costs.
The Ferguson protests were both peaceful and sometimes turned violent, in response to the shooting of Michael Brown and non-indictment of Darren Wilson. The presence of tear gas was notorious in news coverage, with images of individuals laying in the street crying or being held by other activists gasping for air and being relieved by milk and water (which helps to soften the stings of the gas).
Trayvon Martin's 20th Birthday: A Timeline Of Racial Issues That Have Plagued Black America
1. Trayvon Martin's Life Wasn't In Vain1 of 20
2. 1995: The OJ Simpson Verdict2 of 20
3. 1996: Texaco Pays Over $170 Million In A Racial Discrimination Case3 of 20
4. 1997: Stephen Lawrence's Alleged Murderers Exposed4 of 20
5. 1998: The Death Of James Bryd, Jr.5 of 20
6. 2000: Former Black Panther Jamil Abdullah Al-Amin Is Accused of Murder6 of 20
7. 2002: Donovan Jackson Chavis & Inglewood Cops7 of 20
8. 2003: Scranton, Pennslyvania's Skinhead Epidemic & Ousmane Zongo8 of 20
9. 2005: Hurricane Katrina9 of 20
10. 2006: Sean Bell10 of 20
11. 2007: Don Imus Calls Female Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hoes"11 of 20
12. 2009: Oscar Grant12 of 20
13. 2010: Aiyana Stanley-Jones, Dead at 7-Years-Old13 of 20
14. 2011: The Capital Punishment of Troy Davis14 of 20
15. 2012: Jordan Davis & Trayvon Martin15 of 20
16. 2013: Cheerios Depicts An Interracial Family & Racists Complain16 of 20
17. 2014: #BlackLivesMatter: Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Renisha McBride, Antonio Martin, John Crawford, Tamir Rice & More17 of 20
18. 2015: We Shall Overcome18 of 20
3 Missouri Police Agencies Plan To Lessen How Much They Use Tear Gas In The Future was originally published on hellobeautiful.com