A: If you are experiencing chronic hives you should see an allergist and have an allergy test to find out what you are allergic to that is causing this reaction. Here are some temporary solutions:
1. Take non-drowsy forms of antihistamine pills.
- Loratadine (Claritin, Alavert)
- Fexofenadine (Allegra)
- Cetirizine (Zyrtec)
- Levocetirizine (Xyzal)
- Desloratadine (Clarinex)
2. If the non-drowsy antihistamine pills do not work, try:
- Hydroxyzine (Vistaril)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton)
Check with your doctor before taking any of these medications if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, have a chronic medical condition, or are taking other medications.