Times sure have changed for TV sitcoms since Phylicia Rashad ruled with Bill Cosby 22 years ago on the classic must-see “The Cosby Show.”
While chatting with HuffPost Live about her new film with Halle Berry, “Frankie and Alice,” Rashad gave her take on current sitcoms, saying the latest crop doesn’t compare to how they did it back then.
“Oh! No comparison,” the actress told host Marc Lamont Hill. “I’m sorry, there just isn’t.”
Rashad went to hammer in her point while complimenting the writing staff of “The Cosby Show” and how they allowed her character, Claire Huxtable, to organically grow and change as a mother and career woman.
“We had a team of writers who were paying attention. This is something else that’s different in television today,” Rashad said as she mentioned how writing for sitcoms has not been as cohesive nowadays. “I just recently was on another television show and I wondered if the writers were ever in the same room together.”
Speculation on which show Rashad was referring to is anyone’s guess as the “Cosby” alum kept that information to herself. Still, you could take a guess from the shows she most recently appeared on. Those shows include the NBC drama “Do No Harm,” which was canceled after one season as well as episodes of “Psych” and “The Cleveland Show.”
Does Phylicia’s statements hold some truth? What are your thoughts on the current state of television?
11 Black 'Ride or Die' Sitcom Couples We Envy
1. Bernie and Wanda Mac from "The Bernie Mac Show"1 of 11
2. Heathcliff and Claire Huxtable of "The Cosby Show"2 of 11
3. Dwayne and Whitley of "A Different World"3 of 11
4. George and Louise Jefferson of "The Jeffersons"4 of 11
5. James and Florida Evans of "Good Times"5 of 11
6. Jamie and Fancy of "The Jamie Foxx Show"6 of 11
7. Julius and Rochelle of "Everybody Hates Chris"7 of 11
8. Martin and Gina of "Martin"8 of 11
9. Michael and Jay of "My Wife and Kids"9 of 11
10. Sinclair and Overton of "Living Single"10 of 11
11. Will and Lisa of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"11 of 11
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information visit here.